Military & The Transport System

I have noticed that with our ever shrinking military, there are little reminders left all over the transport system where halts, stops & stations were named after nearby establishments.

Do you know of any?

Here are my starters

Naafi Messing Store (a bus stop in SE London)

Regents Park Barracks (another bus stop)

The tube line out to MillHill east was originally built so they could repair searchlights etc at the REME workshop which is now a council depot.

Portsmouth Harbour Stn. Used when we had a Navy.

Extension of London Tilbury & Southend Railway to Shoeburyness was subsidised by War Department so that it could run lines further on and into Foulness testing area.

Used to be a Purfleet Ranges halt between Purfleet and Dagenham Dock.

Romney Hythe & Dymchurch railway had temporary lines laid pre-war to aid the build the concrete sound mirrors, something similar in the PLUTO control point in the area.

Not quite on topic but on most coastal lines in the South Coast you can still see many old pillboxes guarding junctions and crossing points, not very well concealed but nice to look at!

Not quite on topic but on most coastal lines in the South Coast you can still see many old pillboxes guarding junctions and crossing points, not very well concealed but nice to look at!
Rail magazine about 2 weeks ago features a small station near Hastings me thinks, the pillboxes are built into the roof. Will search for issue when I get home.

Tonfanau a camp halt between Tywyn and Llyngwyrl on the old Cambrian Coast Railway N. Wales.

I have noticed that with our ever shrinking military, there are little reminders left all over the transport system where halts, stops & stations were named after nearby establishments.

Do you know of any?

Here are my starters

Knightsbridge is an old one... getting coat

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer

Do you know of any?

Here are my starters

Where's that one then?

Holton Heath station in Dorset. Right next to the former Royal Naval Cordite Factory.

Blandford Camp had its own railway line in the Great War.

Box Tunnel. Lord knows what's under there.
Right. If you ever go through listen to wheels as they go over numerous sets of points.

B

Bottleosmoke

Do you know of any?

Here are my starters

Named so because the Barracks are still there and very much in use? Or have I missed the point of this thread?

Its the C2 that stops there by the way.

Box tunnels great fun. If you look on the right hand side as you enter it going to Bath, you'll see the side entrance to the old ammunition depot. There is a railway station built inside the quarry, running roughly parallel to the tunnel for receiving ammunition.

Under the tunnel is a very large bunker, converted from another quarry with space for about 4000 people. It was the Govt HQ till the 1960s, then maintained as a very elaborate decoy site until the 1990s which everyone thought was the real site (but thats another story altogether).

Rail magazine about 2 weeks ago features a small station near Hastings me thinks, the pillboxes are built into the roof. Will search for issue when I get home.
Well, I'm an old Hastonian - and I'm wracking my brains on that one. Must get a life.