Military terminology in civvy street

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Bowser-Mong, Oct 16, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Apologies if this has been has posted before but do any of you use military words or phrases in civvy strasse? I have been out 9 yrears and still refer to my wardrobe as my locker and fold my clothes military style. Sad I know.
  2. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

3. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

Oh yes, guilty as charged. I also have let slip with some "Army"style expressions to describe how bad things are such as,

"This account's likliehood of generating profit before the end of this quarter is lower than a submarine's sh!thouse.", or

"You have two hopes of getting that proposal out today, and one is a dead, celebrity golfer."

I also refer to going to the work catering establishment as the cookhouse and that I am off to get some scoff; mundane household chores is admin; someone whose personal hygiene is not what it should be is a grotbag and ugly women are still hippo-croca-pig-dogs!!
  4. You didn't fold your clothes military style when you you were in.

Your room looked like it was tidied by Bomber Command and your uniform looked like it had been with your feet, through a letterbox.

Military phrases I still use: Strike, seize and grasp the rifle in a Y like grip' my nipper playing with her playdo simply says 'Move on daddy you c0ck'
  6. Still looked as smart as a shiney ninepence, when you looked like a Quality street in a Jackson suit.
  7. Really? If a crisp packet is your idea of "smart as shiney ninepence" well then you carry on.
  8. say again
  10. Constantly confusing people with this stuff.

Call notes range from "NAFF" meaning "there's nothing bloody wrong with it" to "wilco" meaning "leave it to me and ferchristsakes dont ask me what feckin wilco means yet again".

At least the buncha poxy civvies I work with now fully understand what "Nato standard" coffee is.
  11. Tits up,
    dobby dust,
    slug bag
  12. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

The ultimate....

"Civvie cnut!"
  13. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Hah and in recent conversation you have use the phrase "Wait out" several times!
  14. No I didn't :D

But I did use 'Flash to bang time' this morning
  15. Still call large dining room cupboards / dipsplay units 'The Schrank'

Not spefically military terminology, I grant you...