• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Military terminology - help needed.

#1
Gentlemen,

I'm doing a spot of translation for a friend, and not being as well versed in warry things as most of you, I need some help.
I'm listening to a French bloke talking about the GIGN, the Gendarmerie's Special Intervention Group, no probs there. But, when he's asked how they're used with regard to combatting the threat of terrorism in France, he says "well, they're used for classic surveillance operations, as well as stalking people of interest"
Now that's the translation, I trust my French, but what would be a better word for "stalking" in this context? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
 
#7
I'll remember that next time I'm up in court

"No No your holiness! How very dare you and all that! I wasn't stalking I was merely watching .....nay carrying out surveillance...... er I mean carrying out a shadowing operation".

Now not being good with the old english, can anyone else think of a suitable alternative to the old saxonian word ' Rape'?
 
#12
Bagster said:
Gentlemen,

I'm doing a spot of translation for a friend, and not being as well versed in warry things as most of you, I need some help.
I'm listening to a French bloke talking about the GIGN, the Gendarmerie's Special Intervention Group, no probs there. But, when he's asked how they're used with regard to combatting the threat of terrorism in France, he says "well, they're used for classic surveillance operations, as well as stalking people of interest"
Now that's the translation, I trust my French, but what would be a better word for "stalking" in this context? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
In my case 'Gentleman' is a complete misnomer, however...

Given the activities and history of the GIGN it may be that 'stalking' is an accurate term. As has been mentioned above 'watching' is a term that the 'Watchers' in the UK Intelligence Services would tend to use. Then again, is 'UK Intelligence Service' now a contradiction in terms?

Yes, I am now departing in short jerky movements...
 
#13
that's great gents, thank you all very much.

Moon_Monkey_Spunk said:
You "stalk" a person like a hunter stalks game.
IE, walk around ASDA looking for the meat section, then fill your trolley.
Are you really that thick?[/quote]
Taxi for one....destination Cocksville!

Certainly not thick MMS, just a long day...!
 
#14
Depends on whether you are looking at a literal/legal translation or an 'interpretative' translation. In the latter case, context permitting, I would turn the phrase round a touch - something on the lines of: "classic intelligence operations, as well as close surveillance on subjects of special interest."

If you like, PM me with the French paragraph, and I'll have another look.

Maybe slightly off-thread, but still with the French and stalking: On the road from Les Cluses to the ski resort of Flaine (Hte Savoie) there is a wonderful sign on the side of the road giving the opening and closing dates of the snail-hunting season. Somehow, I can never rid myself of the mental image of people armed with shotguns stalking snails!
 
#15
Trackpen said:
Depends on whether you are looking at a literal/legal translation or an 'interpretative' translation. In the latter case, context permitting, I would turn the phrase round a touch - something on the lines of: "classic intelligence operations, as well as close surveillance on subjects of special interest."

If you like, PM me with the French paragraph, and I'll have another look.

Maybe slightly off-thread, but still with the French and stalking: On the road from Les Cluses to the ski resort of Flaine (Hte Savoie) there is a wonderful sign on the side of the road giving the opening and closing dates of the snail-hunting season. Somehow, I can never rid myself of the mental image of people armed with shotguns stalking snails![/quote]

You can't trust those snails you know - they might look harmless, but if they gang up on you they can turn nasty...
 
#16
Civvy_Shot said:
Trackpen said:
Depends on whether you are looking at a literal/legal translation or an 'interpretative' translation. In the latter case, context permitting, I would turn the phrase round a touch - something on the lines of: "classic intelligence operations, as well as close surveillance on subjects of special interest."

If you like, PM me with the French paragraph, and I'll have another look.

Maybe slightly off-thread, but still with the French and stalking: On the road from Les Cluses to the ski resort of Flaine (Hte Savoie) there is a wonderful sign on the side of the road giving the opening and closing dates of the snail-hunting season. Somehow, I can never rid myself of the mental image of people armed with shotguns stalking snails!
You can't trust those snails you know - they might look harmless, but if they gang up on you they can turn nasty...
Snail hunting is an exacting sport, in the rules it states that one is not allowed to shoot them without warning - see snail hunting RoE available from ebay (genuine SAS kit and RoE section) , and they must have been tracked (or in French military speak "stalked" or "watched & followed") for at least 5 minutes.

However it is not as exciting as Cross Country Snail racing.
 
#17
Bagster said:
Gentlemen,

I'm doing a spot of translation for a friend, and not being as well versed in warry things as most of you, I need some help.
I'm listening to a French bloke talking about the GIGN, the Gendarmerie's Special Intervention Group, no probs there. But, when he's asked how they're used with regard to combatting the threat of terrorism in France, he says "well, they're used for classic surveillance operations, as well as stalking people of interest"
Now that's the translation, I trust my French, but what would be a better word for "stalking" in this context? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Knowing the French, are you sure He's not using the right word...?
 
#19
I suspect that it may have been 'égrappant' as in deer stalking. In which case a better translation would be 'picking off', 'hunting' or 'targeting'.
 

Latest Threads