Military tailors recomendations in Oxfordshire/Wiltshire/Gloucestershire

chimera

LE
Glover and Riding have a shop in Bulford (and Aldershot). I have used them over many years for alterations, repairs etc and they have been consistently good.

mcphee1948

War Hero
As a civilian, I wonder where the Army, Navy and Air Force get their uniforms from these days.

Of course a lot, perhaps most, of civilian clothing that you see in the shops seems to be produced in the Far East.

Is it the same with military attire?

As a civilian, I wonder where the Army, Navy and Air Force get their uniforms from these days.

Of course a lot, perhaps most, of civilian clothing that you see in the shops seems to be produced in the Far East.
The MTP is, I believe. No 1's / Mess Dress are still (for Officers) bought from one of the Military Tailors. Mine were from Samuel Brothers.

Ned_Seagoon

War Hero
There is an excellent tailor just off the high street in Wootton Basset. Sorry, I have forgotten his name but his email is mail@thetailorsshop.com. He reworked a mess kit for me and built a British Warm from scratch. Both excellent jobs at a fair price (ie significantly less than the big name military tailors). He has the contract for several barracks in the area and also does a lot for the film industry and historic exhibitions. Very highly recommended.

Ned_Seagoon

War Hero
The MTP is, I believe. No 1's / Mess Dress are still (for Officers) bought from one of the Military Tailors. Mine were from Samuel Brothers.
No 1 Dress is supplied provided you need it for your role. If it is just wedding bling, then you would need to source it and pay yourself.

ETA. Now the same issue item for all ranks, just different accoutrements.

Last edited:
No 1 Dress is supplied provided you need it for your role. If it is just wedding bling, then you would need to source it and pay yourself.
Is it supplied for Officers as well? We were "encouraged" to purchase it. Any central stores were manly to say the least.

I ended up only using it for weddings, and once on Army time (HM the Queen popped in to say hello on my YOs course).

How much was your British Warm?

Asking for a friend...

Ned_Seagoon

War Hero
e
How much was your British Warm?

Asking for a friend...
Trying hard to remember - it was nearly 10 years ago. I think that I paid about £350 for the tailoring. I provided the cloth ( a relative “stumbled” across a bolt of the right stuff, Melton?, and thought of me ) Will dig into my records to check what I paid when I can.

Latest Threads