Military Swim Test

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by franklin, Mar 23, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all.

Anyone got any official guidelines on the Mil Swim Test? Done the RLSS lifeguard cse but have lost details on it.

2. IIRC you must swim 25m fully clothed and tread water for 2 minutes.

3. Last time I done one (2 years ago) we had to swim around a 25 metre pool (total of about 60 metres) after having trod water for 2 minutes in full coveralls.
  4. i havent done one in about 6 years. helping conduct one soon but can't seem to find any official details on it. any help would be appreciated.
  5. did a search on armynet and found quite a bit. should of done this first, mong. but cheers!
  6. did a search on armynet and found quite a bit. should of done this first, mong. but cheers!
  7. im due to start basic training up at catterick on the 12th july and can not swim at all. if i am still unable to swim at the end of phase one will this stop me from passing out? i am trying for the paras or secondly the rifles.
  8. Nope, loads of guys couldn't swim at basic and passed out with me.
  9. Swimming is a basic life skill like driving or riding a bike. It should be taught to all kids at school level. Most kids pick it up so easily.

Ben09, you have till July, any competent swim coach will have you water confident within two to three weeks. Why not try it? You may never reach Olympic standard but you will save your life if you fall into a river, and you may well save someone else's.

You are going to put all this effort into qualifying for The Parachute Regiment and yet be unable to swim. Honestly, it is a bit like a gigolo being unable to dance.
  10. A couple drowned next to me.
    That taught them!
  11. Two years Remedial Swimming and it never worked...... Got to Germany in 1990 and didnt see a pool for a year. The powers that be caught uop with me anmd dumped me back on Remedial Swimming. Two weeks later the Workshop Clerk had a crate of Paderborner Pilsner on his desk and my PAMPAS got changed to "STRONG SWIMMER".......!!!! HeHeHe

Thanks Mark
  12. I passed this recently and i didnt find it too difficult to be honest, you tread water for two minuits in C95 and then either do 2 or four lengths of the pool...
  13. That could come back and bite you on the arse, as you are not supposed to do certain adventure training activities unless you can swim.