Military Subjects that can be taught to civvies in 15 mins.

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by ABrighter2006, Jan 16, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Over the years, have had to do a fair amount of short presentations, introductions to subjects, etc. Due to the Iraqi Translator issue, I have been asked by a friend to do a piece with his media studies students.

This got me wondering, what facts lessons from the mil make the most interesting to civvies? - Lecture, lightpro availble, etc.

Most interesting ever seen was former colleague, ex RN who had worked in the offshore oil industry and delivered a brilliant "Rig Evacuation" presentation. So, what are your favourite subjects to do a formal talk about to a civpop audience?

Thanks in advance. :D
  2. msr

msr LE

3. mine sweeping
  4. Its not every day you see an older lady raping a dog. I'd pay good money for that, especially if she let me sex her up whilst she does it.
  5. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Drinking culture
  6. "Introduction to JPA" - you may have to cut it down a bit.

"The advantages of PAYD" - allows a long question session in your 15 minute time slot.

"Pro Boots and Lowas - pros and cons for deep water wading"
  7. ORP preparation?

Always seem to amuse people when you whip the Yorkie out.

Just to clarify, I'm not on about dog-raping here.
  8. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Stagging on
  9. I'd find most interesting probably something about what different Munitions can do to things/ body rather than simply a piece of metal passing through something (phospherous etc.)
  10. funny enough..
    I have done similar things with civvies in the past..
    The groups I dealt with were more 'hands on' and it was more of a background activity type talk at a corporate event place -
    so I talked fieldcraft on one and different types of Patrols on another -mentioning the reasons why and the tasks likely to be given etc

A media studies group is going to be a little harder
    I would consider what you know so the subject matter is in your head already?
    I don't know your background so I could'n advice.

They could be interested in recruit training and the breakdown of the civilian before building them up to be a 'Rough tough steely eyed killer' :D

I certainly wouldn't get too 'ally' with 'em.
  11. If the subject class is Media Studies, then isn't it obvious that Camouflage & Concealment and Drill would be the ideal subjects.

"How not to be seen" and "Military Drilling" (Monty Python) provide the humour, you provide the facts.
  12. soggy biscuit
  13. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

ABrighter2006 - Check PMs.
  14. "The spirit of the bayonet" lecturette with demo a la Etaples depot 1917-18?

Sorbo rubber boche and red ink required of course...
  15. What about "Time Appreciation"?

But, FFS, don't let it overrun.