• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

military subject lesson

#1
i've been tasked with giving a military based lesson and am after some ideas, ive come up with the usual ideas but have been told to think outside the box, any ideas???
 
#3
the lessons are for stabs on a wed evening, teaching generic military subjects as an interest outside of trade.
i came up with the usual subjects and was told to come up with something thats not usually taught. so im kind of stuck for a subject matter
 
#4
DAKOTA_STAB said:
the lessons are for stabs on a wed evening, teaching generic military subjects as an interest outside of trade.
i came up with the usual subjects and was told to come up with something thats not usually taught. so im kind of stuck for a subject matter
Think outside your TAC - is there another unit locally you could invite in?

msr
 
#5
DAKOTA_STAB said:
the lessons are for stabs on a wed evening, teaching generic military subjects as an interest outside of trade.
i came up with the usual subjects and was told to come up with something thats not usually taught. so im kind of stuck for a subject matter
A tad more detail would probably help here. Interest out of trade could be anything, especially since you haven't told us what their trade is.
 
#6
the trade is air despatch, so trade subjects are taugth by AD instructors, came up with weapons as a subject, got told 'no thats for the skill at guns gadgee', thought along the lines of inf based stuff and was told 'no think outside the box, come up with something completely different'. MSR, liking your idea, might have to employ that one for nxt months mil skills training night. we have 4 training nights a month, one trade based,one sports, one mil skills and one social.
 
#7
I got a couple of Napoleonic re-enactors in to give a talk. Good guys and not the walts I had always assumed. Really cared about the subject and doing things right, even to the point of making up their own boot polish from a period recipe. A bit of 19th century musket and foot drill finished off the evening.

It may not be military enough for your requirements of course, but it made a good interest evening.
 
#9
Combat load of the infantry soldier through the ages? Perhaps not strictly relevant.

How about escape and evasion? relevant to air despatch I suppose. Lots of good stories to pick up from.
 
#10
I organised an interest lesson with a SOCO from the local plod - talked about preservation of forensics and told some gruesome tales (with pics of course) - the lads loved it, and it was relevant for those headed sandy-side.
I was also given a contact for a dog handler, who came in with his lunatic mutts, and demonstrated their capabilities - again the lads loved it and it was relevant.
I've also arranged in the past for the Mortar 2i/c to come over and talk about the use of Arty, and the role that the lads can play in calling it in - made it a bit more interesting coming from the horses mouth. If there's a an Artillery unit nearby they may have an Invertron (sp?) or whatever the latest version is, good practice calling in fir and indicating targets.
Nothing to stop you getting out on a training night - especially now it's light till late - loads of things you can do (aside from phys!) navigation, orienteering, fire and movement, cam and concealmen, sniper stalk, a decent target indication lesson, the list is endless. Just need to be imaginative, and not take no for an answer!
 

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
#17
We had a lesson on how to gut pigeons and rabbits once, try your local butcher for contacts maybe?

Air Despatch? Great big airbase near you by any chance?
 
#18
OnTheBus said:
I organised an interest lesson with a SOCO from the local plod - talked about preservation of forensics and told some gruesome tales (with pics of course) - the lads loved it, and it was relevant for those headed sandy-side. I was also given a contact for a dog handler, who came in with his lunatic mutts, and demonstrated their capabilities - again the lads loved it and it was relevant.
There's always the RAF Police and the base dog section - if they still have one


OnTheBus said:
I've also arranged in the past for the Mortar 2i/c to come over and talk about the use of Arty, and the role that the lads can play in calling it in - made it a bit more interesting coming from the horses mouth. If there's a an Artillery unit nearby they may have an Invertron (sp?) or whatever the latest version is, good practice calling in fir and indicating targets.
266 Cdo Bty in Brizzole isn't too far from you guys


OnTheBus said:
Nothing to stop you getting out on a training night - especially now it's light till late - loads of things you can do (aside from phys!) navigation, orienteering, fire and movement, cam and concealmen, sniper stalk, a decent target indication lesson, the list is endless. Just need to be imaginative, and not take no for an answer!
Why not invite other local units up to you now it's lighter in the evenings so they can see what you do - now there's an idea! hopefully they will reciprocate and invite you to theirs, you never know you may get some new people in. The guns may like to see how you pallet up a light gun and PG for a drop, the Inf may like to see how you kick paras out of the door followed by a heavy drop etc, etc. You could even speak to the UKSF(R) guys about doing some survival stuff.......of course this would be followed by one or two swift ones in your portacabin.

Their phone numbers are all here
 

Latest Threads