Military speak - The origins

#1
Trying to establish the origins of certain terms.

Tabbing (as in smoking)
Tabbing (as in walking)
Dhobi
Ricker

Any help appreciated.
Jim
 
#2
#3
ciggies are often referred to as tabs in the north east
 
#5
IIRC Tabbing comes from the airborne world - TAB=Tactical Advance to Battle.
 

Fugly

LE
DirtyBAT
#6
Have always been under the impression that tabbing came from Tactical Advance to Battle, but that may be one of those urban myths you pick up.
 
#7
Would assume that Ricker comes from Rectum.

Just normal squaddie lazyness in not using the right word?
 
#8
cernunnos said:
Steven said:
Dhobi is easy - India Rajh - Dhobi is hindi for washing

http://www.yourdictionary.com/dhobi
"Dhobi" is Hindi for laundry, washing is "shampoo".
Prove it :lol:

Etymology: 19c: Hindi, from dhob washing.
dhobi /doh-bee, Èdobi/ n. [Hind. ???? dhob? a washerman < Hind. ??? dhob washing; a wash < Middle Indo Aryan dhovvai is washed (McGregor) < Skt. ???? dh?v to rub, rub off, cleanse, clean, wash, purify, polish, brighten, make pure or bright; to rub one’s self with anything, to rub into one’s person; compare Skt. ???? dh?vaka washing, cleansing, ?????? dh?vakas a washerman, a dhob? (Monier-Williams, OED); compare also Punj. ???? dhobí (Panj. Dict.)] An Indian laundryman who uses traditional cleaning methods.
 
#10
I think "Buckshee," is another one that comes from India too.

Tabbing, as in smoking...not sure myself, but see above...seems logical.

Tabbing as in walking. I'm no expert in etymology but presumably an extension of the accronym, T.A.B, Tactical Advance to Battle.
 
#11
cernunnos said:
Steven said:
cernunnos said:
Steven said:
Dhobi is easy - India Rajh - Dhobi is hindi for washing

http://www.yourdictionary.com/dhobi
"Dhobi" is Hindi for laundry, washing is "shampoo".
Prove it :lol:

Etymology: 19c: Hindi, from dhob washing.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhobi

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shampoo

read on!
One of us is insane!

From your own links -

The word shampoo in English usage dates back to 1762, with the meaning "to massage". The word was a loan from Anglo-Indian shampoo, in turn from Hindi ch?mpo (????? /t?ã?po?/), imperative of ch?mpn? (?????? /t?ã?pna?/), "to smear, knead the muscles, massage"

A dhobi is a washerman in Pakistan and India.
Dhobi is washing/washerman

Shampoo is from massage.
 
#12
jimnicebutdim said:
Trying to establish the origins of certain terms.

Tabbing (as in smoking)
Tabbing (as in walking)
Dhobi
Ricker

Any help appreciated.
Jim
"Tabs" from "Tobacco" perhaps

"Ricker" from Mr Algernon Ricker of Felixstowe who really was a complete Arrsehole
 
#13
Father_Gundulph said:
I think "Buckshee," is another one that comes from India too.

Tabbing, as in smoking...not sure myself, but see above...seems logical.

Tabbing as in walking. I'm no expert in etymology but presumably an extension of the accronym, T.A.B, Tactical Advance to Battle.
"Baksheesh" is a term used to describe both tipping, charitable giving and certain forms of political corruption and bribery in the Middle East and South Asia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baksheesh
 
#15
I dunno. Tabbing conjures images of heavily laden troops trogging across rough ground at speed. Hardly a tactical advance.

While TAB sounds convenient, I'm not convinced - and isn't the term "advance to contact?"

Of course, as with many phrases, the meaning could well have corrupted over time.

The RMP Wiki page describes tabbing thus:

Combat Fitness Test (CFT): Normally undertaken in a squad wearing combat gear. This is to get the recruit used to "tabbing", a cross between a shuffle and a jog. It is especially useful for airborne troops, who may have been dropped several miles from their objective. This allows troops to get to the objective fast, but not in a way which depletes their fitness and stamina whilst carrying a full kit load.
"A cross between a shuffle and a jog"? Is this where I've been going wrong?
 
#16
Ricker is from the Malay word 'rikh', meaning seat. It's also where rickshaw comes from.
 

Similar threads


New Posts

Latest Threads

Top