Military speak - The origins

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by jimnicebutdim, Dec 4, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Trying to establish the origins of certain terms.

Tabbing (as in smoking)
    Tabbing (as in walking)
    Dhobi
    Ricker

Any help appreciated.
    Jim

2. ciggies are often referred to as tabs in the north east

3. "Dhobi" is Hindi for laundry, washing is "shampoo".

4. IIRC Tabbing comes from the airborne world - TAB=Tactical Advance to Battle.

5. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

Have always been under the impression that tabbing came from Tactical Advance to Battle, but that may be one of those urban myths you pick up.

6. Would assume that Ricker comes from Rectum.

Just normal squaddie lazyness in not using the right word?

7. Prove it :lol:

Etymology: 19c: Hindi, from dhob washing.
    dhobi /doh-bee, Èdobi/ n. [Hind. ???? dhob? a washerman < Hind. ??? dhob washing; a wash < Middle Indo Aryan dhovvai is washed (McGregor) < Skt. ???? dh?v to rub, rub off, cleanse, clean, wash, purify, polish, brighten, make pure or bright; to rub one’s self with anything, to rub into one’s person; compare Skt. ???? dh?vaka washing, cleansing, ?????? dh?vakas a washerman, a dhob? (Monier-Williams, OED); compare also Punj. ???? dhobí (Panj. Dict.)] An Indian laundryman who uses traditional cleaning methods.

8. I think "Buckshee," is another one that comes from India too.

Tabbing, as in smoking...not sure myself, but see above...seems logical.

Tabbing as in walking. I'm no expert in etymology but presumably an extension of the accronym, T.A.B, Tactical Advance to Battle.

9. One of us is insane!

From your own links -

Dhobi is washing/washerman

Shampoo is from massage.

10. "Tabs" from "Tobacco" perhaps

"Ricker" from Mr Algernon Ricker of Felixstowe who really was a complete Arrsehole

11. "Baksheesh" is a term used to describe both tipping, charitable giving and certain forms of political corruption and bribery in the Middle East and South Asia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baksheesh

12. Another one:
    Yomping?

13. I dunno. Tabbing conjures images of heavily laden troops trogging across rough ground at speed. Hardly a tactical advance.

While TAB sounds convenient, I'm not convinced - and isn't the term "advance to contact?"

Of course, as with many phrases, the meaning could well have corrupted over time.

The RMP Wiki page describes tabbing thus:

"A cross between a shuffle and a jog"? Is this where I've been going wrong?