Military Space Ops

A2_Matelot

LE
Book Reviewer
No, but there are lots of unicorns grazing in British pastures these days.
I disagree. The costs are containable if allocated from HMT and there are sufficient UK entities that contributed to the core of Galileo and other manufacturers who could develop a UK PNT capability and there is now even a big enough TVAC in Harwell.

It could be done if and when HMG provides the money. Its then up to UKSA to deliver.

All the U.K. had to do was go with a European vendor.
Ehhh...I don't know where to start here but Vodafone went with Ericsson for half the country plus London. EE and O2 also split the ticket, it's only 3UK who are doing a Huawei RAN with a Nokia Networks core

Current events outside of Europe must not rate highly in the U.K. anymore.
Perhaps things have changed since last year or the Washington Post was inaccurate?

How China’s Huawei took the lead over U.S. companies in 5G technology
Trump wants to avoid business with Chinese tech firms, but no American company makes the same wireless equipment

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2019/04/10/us-spat-with-huawei-explained/

I believe some vendors manufacture in Mexico already, so they just need to come up with some designs for 5G kit.

Perhaps things have changed since last year or the Washington Post was inaccurate?

How China’s Huawei took the lead over U.S. companies in 5G technology
Trump wants to avoid business with Chinese tech firms, but no American company makes the same wireless equipment

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2019/04/10/us-spat-with-huawei-explained/

The point you are missing, is that China is public enemy number one. Your Government for some strange reason, has decided to throw your most reliable security partner, under the bus. Leading to a sense of betrayal and anger.

The point you are missing, is that China is public enemy number one. Your Government for some strange reason, has decided to throw your most reliable security partner, under the bus. Leading to a sense of betrayal and anger.
The point you are missing is that I don't disagree that China is on a long path to control everything they can. Apple iPhones are more trusted than Chinese mobile phones but they are still made in China.

The point you are missing is that I don't disagree that China is on a long path to control everything they can. Apple iPhones are more trusted than Chinese mobile phones but they are still made in China.
But the U.K. broke with the 5 eyes, and handed the Chinese a significant victory. Which will reduce trust in the Johnson government, which in the long run only hurts your country even more.

But the U.K. broke with the 5 eyes, and handed the Chinese a significant victory. Which will reduce trust in the Johnson government, which in the long run only hurts your country even more.
As someone who lives in China (HK) it is fair to say that China cannot be trusted.

However it would be naive of me to think that the USA can.

While I'm here I'll also point out that a few weeks ago Vodafone issued an RFP for tens of thousands of base stations for networks right across its global footprint under the Open RAN Initiative and some of the US's....
....boutique...
vendors might be in with a chance. If you want some real support for O-RAN as an alternative to the big three vendors, there you go - action, not words.

While I'm here I'll also point out that a few weeks ago Vodafone issued an RFP for tens of thousands of base stations for networks right across its global footprint under the Open RAN Initiative and some of the US's....
....boutique...
vendors might be in with a chance. If you want some real support for O-RAN as an alternative to the big three vendors, there you go - action, not words.
The US has been very active with keeping a certain vendor out of 5 G and eventually removing them entirely from our shores. I don’t know how one might miss that sign completely...

Latest Threads