Military/Society Relationship

Discussion in 'Staff College and Staff Officers' started by antphilip, Mar 28, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all,

I was hoping some of you may be able to point me towards a few sources, conventional or not (!), that relate to the military's relationship with the homeland civilian populous and society. It would be an even bigger treat if there were mentions of the media as well!

As I'm running low on sources now 2/3 way through the dissertation I thought I'd put an easter plea in!

All help, as always, gratefully received!

Ant

2. Try any of Chris Dandeker's books and articles - he is a senior Kings College London lectureer who is fairly prolific on the subject. RUSI Journals normally have a few articles. You could also try Hew Strachan.

3. are you looking at modern relationships between military and society ie later part of the 20th century or earlier? Also what is your time frame for handing in ?

4. The case study is Iraq and Afghanistan, arguably tied into the same media effort. The time frame is 16th of April alas.

All replies so far are appreciated, thank you :)

5. Which ac establishment is your course with? They may be able to give you access to Athens, the host of secure access management to web-based services for the UK education sector (Google 'Athens'). From there you can run searches (eg, CIMIC; Iraq; Afganistan) and access many resources including full text or at least full references for you to source hard copy via the defence library svcs.