Military Rock Climbing

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by flyboy123, Feb 18, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,
    I have recently taken up rock climbing after attending the JSMTC on a multi-activity week. I have also recently commissioned and would like to get some AT qualifications to ultimately run some expeditions in the future. I would like to progress through to instructor as quickly as possible in order to take full advantage of this.

I have read JSP 419, but I was wondering if there were any climbers that could summarise a good route to take in terms of getting on courses quickly, associations and other useful ideas. So far the earliest I could get on to the RLT course is June.

Thank you in advance.

2. I take it after taking up rock climbing , its now in your blood and love to climb and go onto any rocks at every chance? Or do you just want to run expeds?

As the token Officer you will get many chances to go on expeds. To want to climb go and do it , join a club or just go out and do it with another rock climber.

On courses the staff can tell who wants to pass the course , who wants a tick in the box and who's is as mad as a frog for rock.

Do not on any occasion , go out and buy your new leaders rack the week before your final test , cos if you fail some snotty Cpl will offer you 100 quid for a 459 quid rack. I had to go to 230 to get it:)

• Like Like x 1
  3. if you went to JSMTC then look at their website again. They run a couple of different introductory courses every year. Theres the BRC (basic rock climbing) (or is it IRC? introduction to...)) and the RCF (rock climbing foundation). Not entirely sure what the exact difference is as I believe they are both 5-day courses! I think the RCF might start teaching you how to do set ups, but I could be wrong about that!

Once you have done a foundation course you may decide it's not really for you. But if you still want to carry on then joining a club is a good idea. The AMA (Army mountaineering association) is the, obviously, army one. Try also looking in your local area for a climbing partner or civvie club.

I think you will need 20 lead climbs before they will let you do an RLT. That might not sound a lot but it is kind of!

4. Start working on your log book; get a good grounding in classic rock climbing on different types of rock.
    Join your Service's mountaineering association. Go to the events they organise.
    Once you have the minimum number of climbs logged for the next course up (RCP, RLT, RCL, etc) as per JSP 419, apply for the course.
    Start seconding on multi-pitch routes as soon as you are confident in your rope work.
    Apply for one of the climbing concentrations that JSMTC runs. These are two weeks of nothing but climbing in Spain each November where you can boost your log book and work on the techniques necessary for the leading and instructing quals.
    Get on the ATG(A) website and register for alerts for last minute course places and register your quals so that others can call you up and offer you a trip cos their leader/instructor has dropped out/been deployed/been posted.
    Remember that there will always be something that gets in the way, so get it in the programme and give something back by taking the lads away for AT. You will get higher priority when they load the course if it is needed for a planned event.
    Your priority will reduce as you advance in rank unless you are going for the higher quals and the wife won't give you the time off either, so make hay while the sun shines. Good luck.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)