Military (& related) obituaries

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I thought this would have been posted by now but seems not. Someone who actually was "second on the balcony"

Tom MacDonald

What a bore he turned out to be. As far as I can tell he was not a paedophile, he did not write cheap potboiler airport novels, nor did he provide military assistance, through a private security company, to set up a ruthless and bloody dictatorship in a minor African state.

He will have brought shame on the regiment.

The_Duke

LE
What a bore he turned out to be. As far as I can tell he was not a paedophile, he did not write cheap potboiler airport novels, nor did he provide military assistance, through a private security company, to set up a ruthless and bloody dictatorship in a minor African state.

He will have brought shame on the regiment.
Terrible, eh?

And he served as a PSI in 10 PARA which is obviously a clear indicator of “bottom third” performance. The shame.

(He was my DS on a PJNCO cadre, and I then worked for him when he was running the recruit training team. Absolute gentleman and a great role model).

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
THOMAS MICHAEL “MAD MIKE” HOARE
17 March 1919 – 2 February 2020
I just received a call from Mike’s daughter to tell me that Thomas Michael “Mad Mike” Hoare passed away peacefully this morning, Sunday 2 February 2020 in Durban, South Africa, in his 101st year. R.I.P. Mike.

Last edited:
THOMAS MICHAEL “MAD MIKE” HOARE
17 March 1919 – 2 February 2020
I just received a call from Mike’s daughter to tell me that Thomas Michael “Mad Mike” Hoare passed away peacefully this morning, Sunday 2 February 2020 in Durban, South Africa, in his 101st year. R.I.P. Mike.
And we need to honour the passing of a mercenary why?

And we need to honour the passing of a mercenary why?

He fought in the British army in WW2 in Burma, and India, at the battle of Kohima, and the Arakan campaign, and rose to the rank of Major. He served in the 2nd reconnaissance Regt of the Royal armoured corps. For these two mentions alone , afford him the respect he deserves.

JackSofty

Old-Salt
He fought in the British army in WW2 in Burma, and India, at the battle of Kohima, and the Arakan campaign, and rose to the rank of Major. He served in the 2nd reconnaissance Regt of the Royal armoured corps. For these two mentions alone , afford him the respect he deserves.
And plenty more besides.

Sent from my karzi while losing several pounds

And he went on to be an adventurer, a mercenary (ie someone willing to kill and to overthrow governments for a fee) and therefore a criminal. It kind of negates what went before. Or am I being far too simplistic and judgemental?

And he went on to be an adventurer, a mercenary (ie someone willing to kill and to overthrow governments for a fee) and therefore a criminal. It kind of negates what went before. Or am I being far too simplistic and judgemental?

Not in the least. I am not condoning his actions as a "Civvie" for hire. He got caught and spent 33 months in jail............. He served his country with distinction, when and where it was required,........... WW2.

By your reckoning, Eddie chapman must be a war criminal?

exspy

LE
I just received a call from Mike’s daughter to tell me that Thomas Michael “Mad Mike” Hoare passed away peacefully this morning,
I thought Michael Calvert was 'Mad Mike?' Not to be confused with 'Mad Jack' of course. In fact, it seems to me that many British officers have had the appellation 'Mad' as a prefix over the years, or was it just something that came out of the Second World War?

I thought Michael Calvert was 'Mad Mike?' Not to be confused with 'Mad Jack' of course. In fact, it seems to me that many British officers have had the appellation 'Mad' as a prefix over the years, or was it just something that came out of the Second World War?
And of course 'Mad Mitch', Co The Argyles in Aden.

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
Also WW1. Siegfried Sassoon was known as 'Mad Jack'

Not in the least. I am not condoning his actions as a "Civvie" for hire. He got caught and spent 33 months in jail............. He served his country with distinction, when and where it was required,........... WW2.

By your reckoning, Eddie chapman must be a war criminal?
It's something of a recurring theme on this site; all manner of psychopaths, criminal misfits and general A-holes being awarded a free pass because they once served their country. There were an awful lot of people who served their country with distinction without being or becoming A-holes further down the line. They seem to be neglected by the Boys' Own crowd.

It's something of a recurring theme on this site; all manner of psychopaths, criminal misfits and general A-holes being awarded a free pass because they once served their country. There were an awful lot of people who served their country with distinction without being or becoming A-holes further down the line. They seem to be neglected by the Boys' Own crowd.

The percentage of A-holes that you refer to, are so miniscule in comparison to the total number of allied combatants, that they make the news, and become enshrined in popular culture, Eddie chapman being the best of them. They were the right people in the right place at the right time, to do a specific job, when Britian needed all the help it could get. Any past misdemeanours are side-lined for the common good. The NAZI ((German) rocket scientists at wars end were by far the worst of the Criminals" that should have been in the dock at Nuremburg, but they fulfilled the criteria needed by the USA to help in no small way , win the space race, and certain aspects of the cold war with russia.

The Russians also used NAZI (German) rocket scientists, conveniently forgetting the horrendous devastation that russia suffered at their hands. All national emergencies that engulf whole nations throw up individuals that have questionable talents, they become major assets in the cloak and dagger world of the spooks, spies, and saboteurs. Its the nature of warfare.

Many Ex servicemen took with them talents taught and honed to perfection while in army service into their civilian lives, some used their new found talents illegally, The Bomb disposal lads are a good example, blowing safes. The RASC lads went into transport buying and selling, and in the post war austerity years, clocked cars were a bonus for the working man, Quartermaster sergeants, notorious for the fiddles and double dealings that was endemic in the services, went into the wholesale and retail business. As a young kid in the east end my father, had many dealings with these kind of people, and also served in WW2, and was well aware of the people he had dealings with, some good, some service trained duckers and divers.

The stories of shysters, a-holes and nasty bastards that the army throw up are legendary, most disappear into the crowd, but people like Mike Hoare excel at what they do, and as such come to prominence through highly illustrated world events. He isn't the first, and won't be the last. Nothing changes, only the uniform.

Last edited:

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
And he went on to be an adventurer, a mercenary (ie someone willing to kill and to overthrow governments for a fee) and therefore a criminal.
Which law against being a mercenary did he break ?

Latest Threads