Military (& related) obituaries

I remember Air Marshal Sir Frederick Sowrey when he was Commandant of the National Defence College back in 1974 when dad was an instructor. I rather think he was there when the IRA hit it and it became the first MoD premises to be targeted, no casualties but a knackered syndicate room! Fred was a small yet distinguished figure with an impressive row of decorations, his back had been damaged in a bad aircraft exit so he had a stoop!
Air Marshal Sir Frederick Sowrey, who has died aged 96, saw service in the Second World War and was the last survivor of a remarkable family whose members had served in the RAF for an unbroken period of 65 years.

His father and two uncles had transferred to the Royal Flying Corps in 1915 and each saw considerable active service in France. Freddie, as he was always known, was the son of the second brother, who had shot down a Zeppelin over Essex in September 1916 and who went on to be a fighter ace on the Western Front.

Lt Col P Walter MC* (Them). Another career out of Boy's Own ? Note he brought the Alderney Militia back as an ACF Unit (ready for them Frenchies)

For those who didn't get a copy of the paper:
When he was running the battle school, he occasionally stood behind the cookhouse hot plate and was heard to say when a fat Para came up for scoff - 'Too fat, no chips move on'
Try saying that nowadays, he would be out on his ear!

General Sandy Maclean - Last Commander of the Rhodesian Army - note he seems to have done all his training in the country not UK.

QRK2

LE

exspy

LE
Professor Desmond Dillon Paul Morton (1937-2019)

Probably not well known outside of Canada, but a prolific military historian, university president, Royal Military College of Canada graduate, Rhodes scholar, former serving RCASC officer and for one memorable course, a professor of mine.

He was a great-grandson of Sir William Dillon Otter, Canada's first native born General. His father and uncle were both post-war Major-General's, one substantive and one acting. Each of their stories alone would fill a book.

If you ever get a chance to read one of his military histories, you won't be disappointed. They are very engaging and well researched.

The passing of a person that I can proudly say I briefly knew.

Cheers,
Dan.

Great quote 'The Germans thought that it was a Churchillian ‘V for Victory’ sign,” he recalled. “I didn’t disillusion them”
Jack Reynolds, who has died aged 97, won the Military Cross in Sicily in 1943 during the first major airborne operation carried out by Allied forces. He was subsequently captured at Arnhem, where his two-fingered gesture to a German photographer became a celebrated image of defiance.

Fascinating videos recording Sharp's experience in the 'Veterans Video Archive':

"I was shit-scared". Ringway; most of us would have been, too. "Nine jumps; six training, three operational. That was enough for me"

Fascinating videos recording Sharp's experience in the 'Veterans Video Archive':

"I was shit-scared". Ringway; most of us would have been, too. "Nine jumps; six training, three operational. That was enough for me"
Outstanding Obit to a very brave man.

RHQ Scots Guards announce the passing of Lieutenant Colonel Sir Malcolm ROSS GCVO OBE GCStJ.

He served in the Scots Guards from 1964 to 1987, holding the posts of Adjutant at the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst 1977–1979, and reaching the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel in 1982.

Sir Malcolm was a former member of the Royal Household of the Sovereign of the United Kingdom, and from 2006, that of the Prince of Wales (retired March 2008 He was made an OBE in 1988 and joined the Royal Victorian Order in 1994 as a CVO. He was knighted as a KCVO in 1999, and advanced to GCVO in 2005. He had been a member of the Royal Company of Archers since 1981, and a Freeman of the City of London since 1994. In 2006, he was made Her Majesty's Lord Lieutenant of the Stewartry of Kirkcudbright. Until recently Sir Malcolm was also the Lord Prior of The Order of St John.

Yokel

LE

Admiral Sir Desmond Cassidi

Served in WWII Arctic convoys and commanded 820 NAS, HMS Whitby, HMS Undaunted & HMS Ark Royal. Was Second Sea Lord in 1982 helped to prepare the task force to reclaim the Falklands.

Haven't seen the Obit posted of Field Marshal Lord Bramall. As taxi drivers are prone to say 'I had him in my cab' not quite a cab but a stripped down land rover in North Armagh. He declined the offer of a trip back to the chopper in a saracen but wanted to travel with the jocks in the front seat. So dressed in his red hat and carrying his black stick we belted away. I rather think the Coy Cmdr lept in the back - not a man to lose on a border country lane!
Dad travelled down to the FI with him after Endex where he addressed some of the guys at Ascension ( After the successful campaign Bramall boarded the ferry carrying the 2nd and 3rd battalions of the Parachute Regiment off Ascension Island and told them: “When you are old men you will be able to say, as they said after Agincourt, after Alamein, after Arnhem: ‘I marched, and fought, and won the Falklands, and showed the incomparable quality of the British Army.’) ”after what Dad described as a bloody awful trip, the next leg was by Hercules.

'A veteran who escaped Dunkirk by paddling out to sea on a shed door has died at the age of 101.

Les Rutherford became trapped while fighting a rear-guard action during the evacuation of the port.

He and a fellow soldier used the door, which had been blown off a shed, to escape out to sea, where they were picked up by a French trawler. . . '

A most remarkable life.

Haven't seen the Obit posted of Field Marshal Lord Bramall. As taxi drivers are prone to say 'I had him in my cab' not quite a cab but a stripped down land rover in North Armagh. He declined the offer of a trip back to the chopper in a saracen but wanted to travel with the jocks in the front seat. So dressed in his red hat and carrying his black stick we belted away. I rather think the Coy Cmdr lept in the back - not a man to lose on a border country lane!
Dad travelled down to the FI with him after Endex where he addressed some of the guys at Ascension ( After the successful campaign Bramall boarded the ferry carrying the 2nd and 3rd battalions of the Parachute Regiment off Ascension Island and told them: “When you are old men you will be able to say, as they said after Agincourt, after Alamein, after Arnhem: ‘I marched, and fought, and won the Falklands, and showed the incomparable quality of the British Army.’) ”after what Dad described as a bloody awful trip, the next leg was by Hercules.

I don't think there is any need for Persec as most of these gallant warriors from the Staff College 1960 intake are in the final RV. There are a number of the future HMF glitterati including a certain Lt Colonel E Bramall MC KRRC in the front rank. My dad and an uncle are in there as well, but see who else you can pick out?
There is a Scots Guards Officer who went on to be a top man in Edinburgh Castle in 1978 when I was posted to Redford, and whose son I did a Jungle Bunny course with in 1981.

Attachments

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I don't think there is any need for Persec as most of these gallant warriors from the Staff College 1960 intake are in the final RV. There are a number of the future HMF glitterati including a certain Lt Colonel E Bramall MC KRRC in the front rank. My dad and an uncle are in there as well, but see who else you can pick out?
There is a Scots Guards Officer who went on to be a top man in Edinburgh Castle in 1978 when I was posted to Redford, and whose son I did a Jungle Bunny course with in 1981.
Not all gone, as you say. There is one there who I know is still in the go.

Latest Threads