Military Reading Material

Evening all,
I am currently an Oxford Academic, tutoring 5 Undergraduates in modern literature in war.
I am late of the 15/19 KRH, and a friend of mine who is still serving informed me of ARRSE.
My colleagues and I are baffled as to which modern texts to study, detailing operations in Iraq or Afghanistan.
The bookshelves seem to be full of trashy, blood and thunder accounts of the conflicts, yet nothing with any depth.
Could anybody possibly help me out?
Many Thanks,
BR

Lovely, thank you very much.
I thought Toby Harnden was a Naval Officer? Knew him from Corpus Christi.
Wonder how he got the gig with the Welsh Guards

Junior Officers Reading Club seems quite well thought of as well

I am late of the 15/19 KRH,
Sorry to hear that!

Perhaps you could keep a Regimental tradition alive and have Viz as the read of choice?

there's a book by pen and sword on the black watch/3 SCOTS 2009 ("Aviation assault battlegroup"?) tour which as a read is pretty naff as its more like a giant after action review of all the ops, each one usually begins with someone senior walking through what the plan was and what actually happened along with several personal accounts giving different perspectives and pure hunners and hunners of photos.

it'd never make a movie but if you're after good descriptions and facts it would be worthwhile having a look.

there's a book by pen and sword on the black watch/3 SCOTS 2009 ("Aviation assault battlegroup"?) tour which as a read is pretty naff as its more like a giant after action review of all the ops, each one usually begins with someone senior walking through what the plan was and what actually happened along with several personal accounts giving different perspectives and pure hunners and hunners of photos.

it'd never make a movie but if you're after good descriptions and facts it would be worthwhile having a look.
Basically Black Watch claiming all the praise for Babiji when in reality they rocked up, sat on some canals and pissed off back to Bastion Pizza Hut before anyone even took issue with them being there.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

i wont bite =D

although, the CO was awfully good at PR.

i've not actually read it (although i now have a copy) just flicked through but the above was my impression of it.

Yes, and I learned something from it. One person from Newport can read and write, there just may be more.

T

Tremaine

Another recommendation, "Generation Kill" (nonfiction). Iraq Invasion and B Company US Marines' Ist Recon Batallion, behind enemy lines in Iraq. Written by war reporter Evan Wright who was embedded with B company. Generation Kill: Amazon.co.uk: Evan Wright: Books ISBN-10: 0552158933, ISBN-13: 978-0552158930

I picked up the TV series on DVD from the Boardwalk on KAF, well worth watching and rather entertaining. Generation Kill: Our Interview With Author Evan Wright And First Recon Marine Eric Kocher