• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Military Parliament

What worries me is this - by implication, Milipede no longer believes that being a Commissioned Officer in HM Forces in a middle class profession...

Well, to be fair, he never implied that ex-Military MPs should all ex-officers, just Military or ex-Military.

Well, to be fair, he never implied that ex-Military MPs should all ex-officers, just Military or ex-Military.
And I never said that ex-military MPs should be ex-officers either; the example cited in the BBC article is that of Dan Jarvis, a retired Major. My observation was that if Milipede believes that middle class professions are journalism, law, etc., since did when being a commissioned officer fall so low down the career ladder?

And I never said that ex-military MPs should be ex-officers either; the example cited in the BBC article is that of Dan Jarvis, a retired Major. My observation was that if Milipede believes that middle class professions are journalism, law, etc., since did when being a commissioned officer fall so low down the career ladder?

Oh, ok - I get you now. My mistake. However, it was the BBC who cited Dan Jarvis as an example of an ex-Military man who is now an MP. Miliband didn't mention him.

Wait, or maybe he did - these media sources are good at ambiguous reportage. It's inconclusive from the report whether the Dan Jarvis example was Milibands or the Beebs own.

Of course, Dan Jarvis isn't the only ex-military Labour MP. I wonder why the Rt Honourable Member for the Falkirk didn't rate a mention?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I don't care what a prospective MP's background is; the criteria for selection should be that he or she has worked for at least five years in gainful employment and I don't mean straight from uni to a parliamentary researcher's job or trades union dogsbody but proper fulfilling work! Once elected they only sit for a maximum of two terms (ten years) so we get a continual flow of new blood on the benches. That would do away with the arrogant sods in safe seats, irrespective of party, who think that they have a divine right to be where they are for good and all. Pay them decently with adequate and fair expenses but no pension at the end. The honour is in being elected by their constituents to serve their interests and the country's first and foremost and not their grubby political party. They should be continually reminded of this fact and while we are at it, how can it be truly democratic when the trades unions sponsor MPs and have a large say in what goes on even to influencing the election of a party leader?

I don't care what a prospective MP's background is; the criteria for selection should be that he or she has worked for at least five years in gainful employment and I don't mean straight from uni to a parliamentary researcher's job or trades union dogsbody but proper fulfilling work! Once elected they only sit for a maximum of two terms (ten years) so we get a continual flow of new blood on the benches. That would do away with the arrogant sods in safe seats, irrespective of party, who think that they have a divine right to be where they are for good and all. Pay them decently with adequate and fair expenses but no pension at the end. The honour is in being elected by their constituents to serve their interests and the country's first and foremost and not their grubby political party. They should be continually reminded of this fact and while we are at it, how can it be truly democratic when the trades unions sponsor MPs and have a large say in what goes on even to influencing the election of a party leader?
Sounds like a plan.
Which planet is it a possibility on and how do I get there?

Are officers not middle class? I don't think they're upper class, not unless they're flag rank and landed gentry. An officer is petty gentry like lawyer or doctor.

So the political party which for years has fulminated against the “class” system now wants to use it to select its MPs!

Far more important is experience and for what it is worth I suggest that, given the power of MPs to influence the economy and to commit the country to war, no one may stand for parliament unless he/she has served for a minimum of 10 years in HM Forces, and have worked in a for profit organisation also for a minimum of 10 years.

Those 20 years will also give them time to experience and better understand the general vagaries and difficulties of life which the population has to cope with.

Latest Threads