Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Military Modelling

back on the Dauntless at stupid o'clock....

Here are a couple of shots - @daz pointed out the dull aluminium rather than the silver. These bring it home. I wont be using silver anymore.

IMG_1487.jpg
IMG_1490.jpg

IMG_1491.jpg

IMG_1492.jpg

IMG_1493.jpg

quite useful seeing a big one

back on the Dauntless at stupid o'clock....

Here are a couple of shots - @daz pointed out the dull aluminium rather than the silver. These bring it home. I wont be using silver anymore.

View attachment 346292View attachment 346293
View attachment 346294
View attachment 346295
View attachment 346296
quite useful seeing a big one
Lovely shots SI.....and nice work on the kit BTW

Interesting to note, the tailhook seems to be painted black and white rather than the default red and white, food for thought :)

No idea, the only markings are "eagle miniatures 1976" and an Eagle outline under the base of the figure, I thought it was depicting an officer from the Indian Mutiny
Ah not heard of them off hand, thought it was an oldie. The figures today are light years ahead of that one.

Bare-skinned aircraft only tend to shine if they've been polished, which was usually for performance reasons.

Sorry - not a stupid comment. Next time you fly, compare, say, early in-service Lightnings with the upper wing surfaces of a Boeing or Airbus. The former gleams. The latter are matt.

Bare-skinned aircraft only tend to shine if they've been polished, which was usually for performance reasons.

Sorry - not a stupid comment. Next time you fly, compare, say, early in-service Lightnings with the upper wing surfaces of a Boeing or Airbus. The former gleams. The latter are matt.

Yep - it’s really obvious when you think about it, but if you follow instructions you fcuk up as the instructions are wrong. Moral of story? Work from experience not from a modellers instructions

Lovely shots SI.....and nice work on the kit BTW

Interesting to note, the tailhook seems to be painted black and white rather than the default red and white, food for thought :)

Bugger; Tamiya called mine out as dull aluminium. Back to looking for pictures. Thankfully it hasn't been fitted yet. Thanks for the heads up.

I wonder if a companion thread ("Military Modelling - Companion Thread" seems a catchy title) is not in order for detail photos of the real thing? I was thinking of it with regard to my next visit to Bovvy and not cluttering up this thread with lots of pics of the detail of, say, 131, and other vehicles that you lot might one day feel like replicating in miniature.

It could be in the format of a line of text to identify the make, model and variant of the subject (and any special historical references - like "Tiger 131") to make the search function efficient and then the pics. Repeat for every ten pics in the set. It could be used to post pics from the 'net, too, such as when people find sites of detail pics of a subject currently being modelled, to save cluttering up the shots and chat of the actual models.

All the chat could be kept to this thread, with a post link to the other thread where appropriate. A tame mod could be roped in to ruthlessly remove any crayoning or to move related waffle into this thread.

oh I dunno though, posting pictures of models and the real thing keeps us on our toes. I think the only way we could have a reference thread for all our real stuff is to have a whole area that could have individual pages dedicated to each type, don't know if the mods would stand for it. But it would be a bit like this
- The Airfix Tribute Forum - - Military Vehicle Refs

- The Airfix Tribute Forum - - Aircraft Refs - Military
and Aircraft like this