Military Modelling

Good grief! It's been nearly two weeks since I started this one. I've been unreasonably busy so haven't been able to get any bench time but finally managed to make bit of progress at last. The stowage and figures are just placed at the moment.

_20191115_135656.JPG
_20191115_140055.JPG

The most depressing thing is that this one is in 28mm. Those figures are barely an inch tall! Bastard.
54mm maybe, but can't believe you can get that level of facial moulding detail in 28mm.

We have a variety of bonds of this type, uo to 7th generation I think.

We usually use them to bond resin fillings to teeth, although also used to bond porcelain or metal to teeth.

Porcelain requires a silane bonding agent, and the metal should be etched or sandblasted for a rough finish.

Without getting too technical, it has ability to bond to different parts of tooth in different ways. To the enamel it flows into microtubules and had a physical mechanical bond, whereas to the dentine the bond is more to the collagen.

In terms of modelling you will get mechanical bonding to any undercuts but I do not know if there will be a chemical bond, that will depend upon the composition of the plastic parts.

As to does and don'ts, our working lights can be enough to set our resins, so we can dim them so that they don't set until we want it to.

Our stuff ranges in price from not cheap to eye wateringly expensive but a little would go a long way in modelling, if you use it straight from the bottle rather than piur some out to use.

I would worry about the light penetration and shadowing if it is a dark plastic you are sticking together, especially if in any sort of bulk, some of these only set where the light has reached at a specific intensity, the curing does not propagate or spread.
We often end up shining our light from multiple angles to try to avoid this, plus they can be dual cure (light or catalyst)
I honestly cannot reply to your post as anything to do with teeth mortifies me. My dentist is one of my most trusted friends and yet I have to Immerse myself in music and pleasant thoughts to let her examine my "peggies". Tis the torture I feared the most and yet I have broken bits of body and had spinal septicemia (ooh that was a bitch) neither to do with teeth. I summise it must be something to do with only perverts would be interested in teeth.

You may be right, I thought it looked like this chap's work:

And these are 28mm! Here's a deeply depressing example!

View attachment 430380
Through the green eyes of envy, I can (just) believe that these are 28mm by the moulding of the coats, but the level of detail in the previous pics is (to me) unachievable in that scale.

54mm maybe, but can't believe you can get that level of facial moulding detail in 28mm.
Yes you can and it's depressing, I'm a wargamer, I've got ~ 450 of them to do for just one Austrian army. Unsurprisingly I'm giving them a coat of dark flesh and a coat of thin dark brown wash, but it does feel like I could do better.

Yes you can and it's depressing, I'm a wargamer, I've got ~ 450 of them to do for just one Austrian army. Unsurprisingly I'm giving them a coat of dark flesh and a coat of thin dark brown wash, but it does feel like I could do better.
... and then a whole lot of white. Try Landsknechts!

daz

LE
1369221817184550912_n.jpg

... and then a whole lot of white. Try Landsknechts!
Not many Landsknechts around in the Napoleonic wars, but yes I picked Austrians because I can spray paint most of them white to start with. Since the army is based on the force at Wagram, I'm trying to work out how to do Saxons as the opposition, but there's currently a shortage of plastic figures so it may have to be Westfalians. Like I said I'm a wargamer, painting figures is a necessary evil, I'd hand the lot over to a keen painter tomorrow if they offered.

Not many Landsknechts around in the Napoleonic wars, but yes I picked Austrians because I can spray paint most of them white to start with. Since the army is based on the force at Wagram, I'm trying to work out how to do (white-coated) Saxons as the opposition, but there's currently a shortage of plastic figures so it may have to be (white-coated) Westfalians. Like I said I'm a wargamer, painting figures is a necessary evil, I'd hand the lot over to a keen painter tomorrow if they offered.
Not very imaginative, are you.

This one's done now, finished as a vehicle from B Sqn 8th King's Royal Irish Hussars.

[
_20191117_114716.JPG
_20191117_114735.JPG
_20191117_114754.JPG
_20191117_114648.JPG

Last edited:
Latest acquisition

8B6581B3-3F8B-4A9B-B5E2-E6CE7AE4882B.jpeg

Latest Threads