Military Modelling

I haven't looked at it for some time but Catchpole had a system where he would use a strap of green stuff and then used 2 square tubes pushed into it one smaller than the other. This would give you a buckle with the strap going through it and you then cut to size.

Stumpy4154

LE
Book Reviewer
I was impressed! What did you use?
I know its 1/35 scale but I used Fimo polymer modelling clay (bake in the oven stuff) made a bit of sprue into a tool to imprint a frog into the top of the bricks. Once done, mixed up some Mig brick dust pigment into some thinners and tossed in the bricks. When dried they were very convincing.
On the couple of dio's that I've done I tend to use terracotta plant pots smashed up and ground down into very small chunks as the bulk of any rubble and sprinkle over the dust it generates before soaking with diluted PVA glue. I have used a couple of packs of 1:35 bricks from ebay as well to enhance the appearance of it.

On the couple of dio's that I've done I tend to use terracotta plant pots smashed up and ground down into very small chunks as the bulk of any rubble and sprinkle over the dust it generates before soaking with diluted PVA glue. I have used a couple of packs of 1:35 bricks from ebay as well to enhance the appearance of it.
Great idea! i'm trying that next. Just ordered a Takom Panther with the full interior that comes with the gantry crane. Going to put it in a dio of a ruined factory, and I am going to need a lot of rubble.

Stumpy4154

LE
Book Reviewer
Great idea! i'm trying that next. Just ordered a Takom Panther with the full interior that comes with the gantry crane. Going to put it in a dio of a ruined factory, and I am going to need a lot of rubble.
Here's a couple of shots of my last dio (Tiger in Kharkov) to illustrate how the rubble looks like, just to give you an idea.
IMG_1730.jpg

Daves stuff 007.JPG

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I've just remembered, Historex 35th Scale sold buckles by the sprue. Can you still get them?
Can't find anything on the Historex website, but these could be useful....
1.jpg

Black Dog models £9.99

buckle-straps-135.jpg

Royal Models - £12.75
aber-abr35a21-assorted-buckles-and-straps.jpg

Aber models - £11.99

175691-11298-pristine.jpg

Verlinden productions £18.99

Another day, another "oops" moment due to blindness ...... time to make some new distributor caps

IMG_20190411_224000.jpg

Rubble piles. The bulk of it can be done with bits of foam tile or expanding foam. Dressed over with all sorts of home based recipes. I've collected road dust from the kerbside before now, still got a 20 odd year old bag of it somewhere too. I also used to use kiddies play chalks you can now get from the pound shops & ground them up for pastel powders. The likes of Ammo & Vallejo powders are pretty much the same bloody stuff for £s more.
I've also used smashed up bits of real bricks as well as terracotta pots before too.

Timber wreckage can be simulated with a handful of those stirrers from the coffee places esp for 1/35th

Helm and Smeghead, hi Gents, can we take the Pacific GB out of the stickies and create a D Day one in there, so we can start prep on it, the stickies do need thinning, but this thread and the shows dates one should stay IMO.