Military Modelling

These guys in the picture are carrying pole charges. There is a better pic on the web somewhere but I don't have time to look for it...

The book says the are bangalore torpedos - Page 25
Dak30202.jpg

This illustration from the book shows the pole charge

Dak30101.jpg

The book says the are bangalore torpedos - Page 25
View attachment 384286

This illustration from the book shows the pole charge

View attachment 384287
Different again @daz
No11 AKA Mousehole Charge is used to blow a hole from the outside in to or through a structure - house, wall etc.
No12 Is the Bangalore (with nose attachment) varying lengths of hollow pole, to be filled with PE, to be pushed under the extent of the obstacle to be destroyed. More poles can be screwed, det cord to initiate it.
The original improvised pole charge (and I reckon it's a tent pole) with WP would be to place it inside a bunker.

The other things are shaped charges for other specific types of attack.

Different again @daz
No11 AKA Mousehole Charge is used to blow a hole from the outside in to or through a structure - house, wall etc.
No12 Is the Bangalore (with nose attachment) varying lengths of hollow pole, to be filled with PE, to be pushed under the extent of the obstacle to be destroyed. More poles can be screwed, det cord to initiate it.
The original improvised pole charge (and I reckon it's a tent pole) with WP would be to place it inside a bunker.

Sorta like what I said then. :D

It's not got an anti artillery piece application.
Let WP of inside a barrel and you'll just get flames out of the end. Not even as explosive as the guns normal propellant.
That was my concern as well, plus it would need to be a mighty large calibre to stuff that thing down.

No, because you’re never going to pull the pin out at that angle...
I was wondering about that too. It must be based on an actual device, but how the hell are you supposed to use it?

Different again @daz

I know, I was just posting what the book said, it does mention that pole charges were made at a unit level, so it being made out of a tent pole could well be correct

Ask dingerr and do the opposite ;)
Dingerr is the poster child for not reading the instructions on the box of fireworks from Asda.

Cats heading to the bin

Haven't had a lot of time the last few months owing to commitments to the work stuff. I started a simple Tamiya kit I had in the stash at Christmas time thinking it would be a week's work tops. I think it's March now and it's still not finished. Here's the effort to date. Still trying to work out how such a small kit can consume the time it has.

IMG_9337.jpg

Still needs work. It's supposed to be from Operation Barbarossa. Here's the bloke that goes with it.

IMG_9341.jpg

When standing he's almost as tall as the panzer. By the time of Barbarossa they fitted four crew men into the P 35(t). Must have been real cosy.

From Wikipedia

To answer the big question, did the 29th Rangers take part in three raids into occupied Norway and France as has been reported? Answer: I was in the Rangers from beginning to end and I never heard a former member who said he participated in a live raid. I can assure one and all, the Battalion did not participate as a unit on a live exercise. Ed McNabb, a former A Company officer, now living in San Antonio, said he was told Lt. John Dance and possibly Sergeant Toda might have. 29 Let's Go! reported the Battalion made three raids and that Lt. Col. Milholland had left his helmet on the beach. It is entirely possible individuals were selected to accompany No. 3 or 4 Commando as observers. This takes not a whit from the fact, this unit would have been outstanding in combat. It is a shame they were never used.
No more accurate than much of Wiki I'm afraid 6 officers and 45 men of the Rangers under Capt Roy Murray participated in the Dieppe Raid and in that raid Lt Loustalot was the first US WW2 serviceman to die in land warfare on the European mainland.

Haven't had a lot of time the last few months owing to commitments to the work stuff. I started a simple Tamiya kit I had in the stash at Christmas time thinking it would be a week's work tops. I think it's March now and it's still not finished. Here's the effort to date. Still trying to work out how such a small kit can consume the time it has.

View attachment 384397

Still needs work. It's supposed to be from Operation Barbarossa. Here's the bloke that goes with it.

View attachment 384398

When standing he's almost as tall as the panzer. By the time of Barbarossa they fitted four crew men into the P 35(t). Must have been real cosy.
Bloody awesome!!!!

No more accurate than much of Wiki I'm afraid 6 officers and 45 men of the Rangers under Capt Roy Murray participated in the Dieppe Raid and in that raid Lt Loustalot was the first US WW2 serviceman to die in land warfare on the European mainland.
Was that the 29th Rangers?
Found this information on the raid.

Because of problems with their landing craft only 15 Americans actually went ashore; of those, 3 were killed, 3 taken prisoner, and 5 wounded—a 73 percent casualty rate.

Looking at a few pictures with the intention of doing a few rangers and I can across this image, but what is he carrying?

I thought either improvised AT weapon of perhaps something for spiking coastal guns?

View attachment 383670
Looks like a couple of US Mk3 offensive grenades wired to a stick for poking them in firing ports of bunkers etc.

IIRC Brit commandos on Op. Torch were given yank weapons and equipment as the frogs were thought more likely to surrender to US personnel and were thought to be more likely to try shooting a few British personnel before surrendering as a bit of payback for Mers-el-Kébir.

Edit to add link.
Mk3

Last edited: