Military Modelling

I'd help but wings and tracks aren't my thing, the figures you mentioned though I am guessing they're actual mannequins, not models?
Wah shield up, we're after a B24 Liberator model kit or a completed build. Sorry for being thick here. We may have a bash at building the thing with some help from Youtube, but again, we've not build models for decades.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Wah shield up, we're after a B24 Liberator model kit or a completed build. Sorry for being thick here. We may have a bash at building the thing with some help from Youtube, but again, we've not build models for decades.
Just clarifying as if it was figures I might have been able to assist with those.

Just clarifying as if it was figures I might have been able to assist with those.
I'm thinking that the crew figures would come with the kit (says this complete biff at this stuff). I now see that extra bods could be added to a diorama and that's a very kind offer. Thanks I'll keep it in mind.

Obviously we haven't thought properly about this...

On the crew and incident history, a bit of background story:

Our man's Liberator BZ 942 was shot down by a Type VIIC wolf-pack U-boat in the western Channel, crew missing. Crews nicknamed the B-24 Liberator the "Flying Coffin"; they were well armed and more than a match for the Kriegsmarine but they only had one exit, near the tail.

The subs accounted for dozens of Liberator Bomber losses; U-256 survived five patrols without casualties. She wasn't caught until May 1945, after she'd been de-commissioned for spares. We captured her hull at Bergen and scuttled it.

BZ-942 was flown by PO Officer Ethan Allen DFC, an American with multiple citations serving with the RCAF. He was a bit special by all accounts.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
I'm thinking that the crew figures would come with the kit (says this complete biff at this stuff). I now see that extra bods could be added to a diorama and that's a very kind offer. Thanks I'll keep it in mind.

Obviously we haven't thought properly about this...

On the crew and incident history, a bit of background story:

Our man's Liberator BZ 942 was shot down by a Type VIIC wolf-pack U-boat in the western Channel, crew missing. Crews nicknamed the B-24 Liberator the "Flying Coffin"; they were well armed and more than a match for the Kriegsmarine but they only had one exit, near the tail.

The subs accounted for dozens of Liberator Bomber losses; U-256 survived five patrols without casualties. She wasn't caught until May 1945, after she'd been de-commissioned for spares. We captured her hull at Bergen and scuttled it.

BZ-942 was flown by PO Officer Ethan Allen DFC, an American with multiple citations serving with the RCAF. He was a bit special by all accounts.
Might I suggest this as an addition to the display? Might be more visible as a symbol of the men aboard
Admittedly it's of a specific person, but I doubt anybody would actually spot it. I would paint it up and base it for nothing if you got it
Vbust VC03 Flt. Lt. Nicolson – Mitches Military Models

Might I suggest this as an addition to the display? Might be more visible as a symbol of the men aboard
Admittedly it's of a specific person, but I doubt anybody would actually spot it. I would paint it up and base it for nothing if you got it
Vbust VC03 Flt. Lt. Nicolson – Mitches Military Models
That's a bloody good offer @Helm and thanks a lot. We're helping out a museum and they'd love that. We can sort out their postal address whenever. We'll of course foot the postage and send you a thankyou letter back.

Cheers.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
That's a bloody good offer @Helm and thanks a lot. We're helping out a museum and they'd love that. We can sort out their postal address whenever. We'll of course foot the postage and send you a thankyou letter back.

Cheers.
No worries drop me a PM as and when with details of when it's needed etc. Tell them it's for a museum and they might reduce the price a bit more

The question is, what size is the plane going to be? that would have a bearing on kit selection and the amount of detail that can be shown

The question is, what size is the plane going to be? that would have a bearing on kit selection and the amount of detail that can be shown
Cheers good point. All we know is the model we're looking at is 1:72 ,or 1 inch to 6 feet (?) so we'll have to decide between just a mounted aircraft or a diorama all to scale, which I don't favour with my limited experience and skills. The danger being it ends up looking like a five year old's bedroom.

Given time I would be tempted to build something like this. But that's a lot of work.
For now keep it simple.

CNC SG 393 For Valour.jpg

Cheers good point. All we know is the model we're looking at is 1:72 ,or 1 inch to 6 feet (?) so we'll have to decide between just a mounted aircraft or a diorama all to scale, which I don't favour with my limited experience and skills. The danger being it ends up looking like a five year old's bedroom.
This is what Hannants is offering kit wise B24 Liberator GR V
The Eduard kit comes with all the bells & whistles, however, that will be a steep learning curve for you due to the multi media content, such as etched brass sets etc, the base Hasegawa kit is cheaper and less complex unless you start adding extras to it....such as Eduard etched sets.

You've then got to factor in you are building a specific aircraft, in this case a G.V, therefore does the chosen kit need modding to bring it into line with your references - for instance, was the air-frame modded in real life with a Boulton Paul turret, if so, do you need to swap the kit part out for a third party one?

Also, can you source the correct markings for the air-frame depicted, or can you replicate them with self made masks and paint?

There's also the paint and paint scheme to consider - hence the need for good references.

Best of luck with the build either way

This is what Hannants is offering kit wise B24 Liberator GR V
The Eduard kit comes with all the bells & whistles, however, that will be a steep learning curve for you due to the multi media content, such as etched brass sets etc, the base Hasegawa kit is cheaper and less complex unless you start adding extras to it....such as Eduard etched sets.

You've then got to factor in you are building a specific aircraft, in this case a G.V, therefore does the chosen kit need modding to bring it into line with your references - for instance, was the air-frame modded in real life with a Boulton Paul turret, if so, do you need to swap the kit part out for a third party one?

Also, can you source the correct markings for the air-frame depicted, or can you replicate them with self made masks and paint?

There's also the paint and paint scheme to consider - hence the need for good references.

Best of luck with the build either way
I would go for the base kit as you are not displaying it in a model show. You're giving people an idea of what the aircraft looked like, as most of them have never seen a B24 before. And you have limited time too, so it will pay to keep it simple. Have fun building, and you can always build another more detailed one using the skills you have learned.

A lot of sound advice much appreciated.

@daz Thanks for the advice. We'll look at Hannants, and from what I tell from the Hasegawa it's near to the Mk V B24G Lib for 1944. We can get RAF Coastal Command decals, and Sqn markings. AIUI the Hasegawa kits are pretty good, though I admit I would struggle on that build.

@Halftrack We'll have to make a decision and may well stick to basics.

Hoping for some help and advice, please. We need a 1/72 model B24 Liberator GR V - RAF Coastal Command (St Eval) 1944 - like one that went down on night ops over the Channel on 06 or 07 June 1944.

It's for a museum display. The research has been done and we've got all the bumf on our subjects, a cracking story with a tragic ending.

Our man was the navigator whilst the aircraft was attacking U-256 at night.

We'll have a lot of personal items including medals and photos on display; we just need the aircraft model. Question, for a newbie this a difficult build so could a newbie finish it within a couple of months ?

The model will be part of a display concerning a Pilot Officer and all crew (lost), shot down by U-256 - Type VIIC. We've got a couple of months to build the kit or find a complete build. We can get a model kit off EBay for about £85. None of us have built models for decades...

There is a cracking Hasegawa B24 Liberator model on Youtube

UbBoat net: 7 Jun 1944
Aircraft attack, aircraft shot down: British B-24 Liberator bomber (224 Sqn RAF/M).

Grateful thanks for any assistance, and this seems to be the place to ask.
I'm on a work place residential course for the next three weeks, so my modelling is being put on hold till I return, shame as I've just completed my MTB project, I'm back 15th March but that's cutting it fine, may I suggest contacting your local Modelling club IPMS, they will have someone that would give their eye teeth for a Museum build, chances like that are few and far between for dedicated model makers. Where is the Museum Jack?

I'm on a work place residential course for the next three weeks, so my modelling is being put on hold till I return, shame as I've just completed my MTB project, I'm back 15th March but that's cutting it fine, may I suggest contacting your local Modelling club IPMS, they will have someone that would give their eye teeth for a Museum build, chances like that are few and far between for dedicated model makers. Where is the Museum Jack?
Cheers @SPROCKET321 and PM sent.