Military Modelling

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Just looked up this and it came from "Rude Mechanicals" AJ Smithers, paperback page 160 down the bottom.
Two Churchills were sent out to Auchinleck for evaluation at the end of 41. lashed to an open deck for 3 months left open and ungreased. They arrived with sea water covering the floors and 9 inches of rust running up the wall inside. The damage to the electrical systems was immense including the turret gear. the radios too were ruined. It would seem no one looked at them before shipping except a SSgt who noticed that they were ungreased, but did nothing about it. Auchinleck pointed out in his report that no US tank was put aboard ship without every crevice being covered with masking tape.

A report was commissioned into why they were sent in such a state and took 6 months to report. So 3 months to get there, 6 months to inquire why they could not be used and I would imagine lots of meetings it is not difficult to understand why the churchill did not have a good start in life.
Nothing new under the sun. There were very disparaging comments made after GW1 about the state that British troops left their vehicles in versus the rather better way in which US troops delivered theirs back for shipping home.

Just looked up this and it came from "Rude Mechanicals" AJ Smithers, paperback page 160 down the bottom.
Two Churchills were sent out to Auchinleck for evaluation at the end of 41. lashed to an open deck for 3 months left open and ungreased. They arrived with sea water covering the floors and 9 inches of rust running up the wall inside. The damage to the electrical systems was immense including the turret gear. the radios too were ruined. It would seem no one looked at them before shipping except a SSgt who noticed that they were ungreased, but did nothing about it. Auchinleck pointed out in his report that no US tank was put aboard ship without every crevice being covered with masking tape.

A report was commissioned into why they were sent in such a state and took 6 months to report. So 3 months to get there, 6 months to inquire why they could not be used and I would imagine lots of meetings it is not difficult to understand why the churchill did not have a good start in life.

Interesting. Laziness or the usual British 'it will be ok' incompetence or 'discrete sabotage'? Before Hitler wandered into Russia in summer 41 there was a lot of discrete sabotage because we were fighting an 'ally' of communism. Just a derailing thought.

Last edited:
Interesting. Laziness or the usual British 'it will be ok' incompetence or 'discrete sabotage'? Before Hitler wandered into Russia in summer 41 there was a lot of discrete sabotage because we were fighting an 'ally' of communism Just a derailing thought.
The Communist party of Great Britain openly opposed the war until June 1941.

Well, off to Old Warden this weekend. Does anyone need any photographs of the Shuttleworth collection for present or future projects? Happy to oblige if you do.

daz

LE
Well, off to Old Warden this weekend. Does anyone need any photographs of the Shuttleworth collection for present or future projects? Happy to oblige if you do.
Its a shame the shows the weekend after - the 17th :)

daz

LE
Oops! My bad! :roll: Still, gives you more time to get your request in. Always a silver lining.
Erhhhhhhhhh, seeing as I'm sort of going there.... black coffee, no sugar ;)

It's pimply sissing. it's no weather to be out in, if you don't have to be. I'm bored. I've got, amongst other things, a 1/25 Centurion, (What else?) so I started thinking, again, about a Dio. Couple of years ago there was a good mag-Military Modelling? which was available on line. It was pretty good, loads of tips on most things modelling, so I thought, Right, lets have a look at that. It's gorn. It is no more. OK. Where do I go for info on diorama stuff? Any books on the subject?
And another thing, any ideas on getting a pair of scale No plates? 05ZR70, of course. And a 105mm barrel?
Oooh, I can see this running and running..

offog

LE
That's very kind of you.

SE5a rigging wire particularly how it connects to the wings and body. The same for the control wires.

Thanks very much.

Aah Woke up then!
If I can sleep in the gunner's seat of a Chieftain going cross country on Soltau in January when it's -20C, I can sleep anywhere and wake instantly to my name being invoked ;)

If I can sleep in the gunner's seat of a Chieftain going cross country on Soltau in January when it's -20C, I can sleep anywhere and wake instantly to my name being invoked ;)
That's nothing. I could sleep in the driver's seat going Xcountry...

PFGEN

GCM
It's pimply sissing. it's no weather to be out in, if you don't have to be. I'm bored. I've got, amongst other things, a 1/25 Centurion, (What else?) so I started thinking, again, about a Dio. Couple of years ago there was a good mag-Military Modelling? which was available on line. It was pretty good, loads of tips on most things modelling, so I thought, Right, lets have a look at that. It's gorn. It is no more. OK. Where do I go for info on diorama stuff? Any books on the subject?
And another thing, any ideas on getting a pair of scale No plates? 05ZR70, of course. And a 105mm barrel?
Oooh, I can see this running and running..
I have a copy of Shep Paine's book on dioramas. Drop me a PM.

Last edited:

Latest Threads