Military Modelling

What price do most folk balk at when it comes to kit prices
Serious head on, its not just the kit price people look at, its the complete price quite often
1, Kit Price
2, Etched set upgrades, sometimes these can cost as much as the kit...or more
3, Resin upgrades - Engines etc
4, Paint sets in the "correct" colours
5, Decal sheets

You can soon find a £20 kit now weighting in at £60 to £100....and that's before consumables, glues, masking tape, sandpaper etc

Its no wonder some people are put off by the cost

Really it all depends on how much/far you want to detail/spend that governs on the price.
If you look at what @SPROCKET321 just did with those two little Fokkers. Basic kit, Humbrol paint, brushes and glue, that should be fine if your just trying to entertain yourself or encourage a yoff into the hobby.

Last edited:
As I bought an Armortek Sherman a while back I'm keeping schtum! o_O
I'm not surprise, I just looked at the M3 - to quote their site, "To reserve your kit with a £700 deposit"........ The deposit is 700 notes, and the price they quote is ex VAT

Now add on the "Smoke Pack", " Recoil Pack", "Sound Pack" and the "Motion Pack" to the cost and it comes in at £5,311.67 excl VAT.

I vote we all mug @Halftrack :)

I'm not surprise, I just looked at the M3 - to quote their site, "To reserve your kit with a £700 deposit"........ The deposit is 700 notes, and the price they quote is ex VAT

Now add on the "Smoke Pack", " Recoil Pack", "Sound Pack" and the "Motion Pack" to the cost and it comes in at £5,311.67 excl VAT.

Get orrf! :p

Some of the Tamiya 1/16th RC stuff is eye watering. I've done a few now but it had to stop. I was running out of space. I did 4 x Leopard 2A6s for a customer. Donor panzer was around 1000 pounds. After I'd rebuilt the lower hul, bogies and tracks in metal, added a proper gearbox,a computer and cameras they were worth north of 3500 notes each. I was sure happy when the bank account showed that they'd paid up in full.

Some of the Tamiya 1/16th RC stuff is eye watering. I've done a few now but it had to stop. I was running out of space. I did 4 x Leopard 2A6s for a customer. Donor panzer was around 1000 pounds. After I'd rebuilt the lower hul, bogies and tracks in metal, added a proper gearbox,a computer and cameras they were worth north of 3500 notes each. I was sure happy when the bank account showed that they'd paid up in full.
Got any pics of those???

First picture I've seen with the Spondon pushed in for travel.
I think you'll find the sponsons have been removed. Given the lack of unditching rails, I suspect the photo is mislabelled, and rather than a Mk.V, it's more likely an old Mk.I or Mk.II that's been 're-roled'.

ED; Removed bloody auto spell check 'correction'!:mad:

Last edited:
From the Mk lV onwards, the Spondon slid in after unbolting. The Mk l they were lifted off and placed on a purpose built trolly. At Bovingdon there is one on display in the WW1 area. I believe Daz posted pictures from his last visit.
Another ID for reference is the fact MkVs have louvers on the back at the sides. Mkls did not.

Last edited: