Military Modelling

A question to you modelling guys if I may. The performance of my Iwata airbrush has been a bit erratic just lately, it might be the needle, the cold or me. The question of lubrication popped up. I've never lubed an airbrush or spray gun for fear of contaminating the paint, but it seems to be recommended. Do you lube, and if so with what?
Try a deep clean, especially around the trigger area

@daz , @robinrocket111 , Yes I have looked at the plans and built the engine. I am looking to see if I can build it as a spare/test and add the bits that aren't in the kit like pipes and wires. You could say a teaching aid. Unfortunately some of the main parts are not doubled but it will give me something to do as I wait for the paint to dry.

I have also looked at the after sails items to enhance kits particularly MGs and then found that there are a lot of different Vickers and Lewis guns and picking the right one for the aircraft and year can be complicated. But I like doing that type of research which is why my 5mm Prussian army have individual regimental colours.
Try here for the guns SE.5a guns 1/48

As a matter of fact, here's their full AM list Search - SE.5

Try a deep clean, especially around the trigger area
Thanks Daz, it is a bit 'graunchy' around that area, stripped it and put plenty of airbrush cleaner in but to no effect. The airbrush Co does a service (bought it from them) so might see what they find.

Gents, what paint range do you use?
Is the AK Interactive range worth the cost?
AK is worth the marginal cost difference over Vallejo if you are buying sets, this was painted with the AK IJN set,, there's a write up on here in the paint section
IMG_20180930_190139.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Daz, it is a bit 'graunchy' around that area, stripped it and put plenty of airbrush cleaner in but to no effect. The airbrush Co does a service (bought it from them) so might see what they find.
Boil washed mine once or twice...... bit like cleaning a .303 :)

Some people on here use ultra sonic cleaners, might help

Good luck with that

I think the DH2 pilot has seen too many movies. Dive towards the ground and pull up at the last second and hope that hapless Hans augers into the deck. :D