Military Modelling

daz

LE
At the start i was in awe of it as the detail on the cockpit and engines was quite impressive. Then after having the spindly undercarriage snap a few times and the fit of the engine cowlings being a bit off, my mojo lost it at the nose guns.
You could always rebuild the parts with brass rod and tubes

PFGEN

GCM
IIRC the collapsing beam was in the cellar bar of the Officers' Mess. New arrivals would be invited to attempt to climb around the room without feet touching the ground. One of the old hands would show them how it was done (without triggering the beam), when the newcomers attempted it a lever would be moved and the beam would collapse depositing them unceremoniously on the floor for them to buy the round. It was still working when I left in '96.
Top floor of the tower, small room with a bench seat all round. Lads could gather round with a stein and listen to fatso telling them about the design of his latest uniform. Beam was activated by opening a small flap on the end of the bench in the corner before the door if I remember correctly. Could be discretely lifted up to gain access to the handle. Handle connected to pulleys which would drop the middle of the centre beam by 10 inches or so.

Statistics

Old-Salt
Purple flash of smoke...."No no no, undercoat/primer not needed you daft twat...paint straight on and get on with it!"....

Looks shite, back to shop....Halfords Primer sorted and like an idiot I bought a "few" more revell paints ;-) I think I'll have to start using the "special" credit card, the missus is unaware of........

Purple flash of smoke...."No no no, undercoat/primer not needed you daft twat...paint straight on and get on with it!"....

Looks shite, back to shop....Halfords Primer sorted and like an idiot I bought a "few" more revell paints ;-) I think I'll have to start using the "special" credit card, the missus is unaware of........

Halfords primer is ace. Goes on real smooth.

What's happened to all the ratings? No longer exist on my android phone.

Today I've been mostly learning about moulding and casting. With varying degrees of failure.

the first test subject, a simple near naked figure. The wood picks are to let air out of the mould acting as sprue.

partial success, need to mix the resin better, the part moulding on the left is from a half mould in latex, latex takes longer to cure than silicone rubber.

so on to a more complex mould, this didn't work well at all.

one of the sprue framse from the Airfix Beach Buggy, only part success, too complex to do whole frames in a one piece mould, might try again with a two piece.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer

one of the sprue framse from the Airfix Beach Buggy, only part success, too complex to do whole frames in a one piece mould, might try again with a two piece.
Pm sent mate

Today I've been mostly learning about moulding and casting. With varying degrees of failure.

the first test subject, a simple near naked figure. The wood picks are to let air out of the mould acting as sprue.

partial success, need to mix the resin better, the part moulding on the left is from a half mould in latex, latex takes longer to cure than silicone rubber.
do you want a bit of advice? I've done quite a lot of casting as I'm a sad b@stard

daz

LE

Looks like you've reached Revell's standard of casting already

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Chaps and chapesses,

Heard this morning that a contributor to this thread has gone to the big model expo in the sky.Joe Civvy passed on yesterday/early today after a quick battle with the big C.
He did some good stuff with the 1:6 scale figures.
Rest easy Joe (David) and condolences to his family.
His wife has now received all his models sent home from Hong Kong. (Or rather she received them a while ago, but has only now felt able to unpack them).

She has asked me if anyone would have any interest in them, and what they are worth.

I'm afraid I'm too lazy to look back through the modelling threads, as it was not something I ever looked at, so please if anyone has any suggestions do let me know and I will pass on to her.

I might also suggest she sets up her own account so she can correspond directly, and post pics if she wishes.

Thanks in advance.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
His wife has now received all his models sent home from Hong Kong. (Or rather she received them a while ago, but has only now felt able to unpack them).

She has asked me if anyone would have any interest in them, and what they are worth.

I'm afraid I'm too lazy to look back through the modelling threads, as it was not something I ever looked at, so please if anyone has any suggestions do let me know and I will pass on to her.

I might also suggest she sets up her own account so she can correspond directly, and post pics if she wishes.

Thanks in advance.
Pics would be needed for sure, there's bound to be an interest, and she'd get a genuine valuation here rather than some other site or greedy dealer. Point her to this thread, if needed we can even create a thread just for them.

@sproket - a few tips for you to follow

First tip is the base that the babe is sat on in your first picture. That needs to be plasticine and about 1" deep.

Push the figure into the pasticine so its half way sunk into it.

Next you need to take a 5mm plastic rod and push a hole about 8mm deep into each corner, and down the sides you want a hole in the centre. Along the top and bottom I've have a total of four holes. Dont use those tooth picks - they are a waste of time.

Next take the 5mm rod and you need to cut it so it measures from the waist of the body of the figure to the edge of the lego brick. If you look at your picture, the rod would be vertical as what you are going to do is push the rod into the plasticine as its going to form a hole that you will pour your resin into to make the cast.

next cover the whole lot with the liquid you get that stops the silicone and resin stcking to the shape you are casting. Once you have done that, put the silicon into the lego cast and fill it til it hits the edge of the top without spilling out then leave it to set.

Ping me when you have got that far. I'd suggest you leave it overnight

Latest Threads