Military Modelling

Thanks! Never seen one. Did they have a limited issue? The tan one was around long after the war, possibly still being issued in the 60s?
They were made from the same material as the windproof smock,albeit with blanket lining etc.
The priority for the material was smocks,so they were/are quite rare.There was also a lightweight version in the so called 'denim',and a tropical version in jungle green.
An old mate of mine had one of the standard tan suits in Germany in the late 70's early 80's.

Am curious as to the rationale behind issuing tankies with these when the PBI were cutting about in bog standard battledress for the duration. Does anyone know why it was deemed a good idea to give the lads in armour a camouflage oversuit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was wondering that! After all, in action you're buttoned up inside a bloody big green thing.

Last edited:
Am curious as to the rationale behind issuing tankies with these when the PBI were cutting about in bog standard battledress for the duration. Does anyone know why it was deemed a good idea to give the lads in armour a camouflage oversuit?

The Infantry were issued camouflaged windproofs from winter '44 onwards. Lots of pictures of them in use during the battles in the Reichswald.
download.jpeg

Interesting. How did they overcome the 'blue on blue' problem that the Americans 2nd Armored had in Normandy? Wernt they sometimes mistaken for SS?
Apparently not. It was a similar pattern to the Denison smock so would have been recognisably British. The US pattern trialled in Normandy was unfortunately rather similar to the SS patterns. Then there is the obvious difference in the shape of the helmet. Not such a striking difference between the German and US helmets. Besides which the Yanks have never been particularly hot on their recognition skills!

Last edited:

Well, the way it was told to me, as a Tankie we're not Cavalry and don't go charging around.... you get killed that way.
It's not like the Desert in Europe, can't see for miles, so you don't go barrelling through hedge rows etc, without knowing what's on the other side. Drones didn't exist in 1945, so you had to use mk1 eyeballs. Simples...

Apparently not. It was a similar pattern to the Denison smock so would have been recognisably British. The US pattern trialled in Normandy was unfortunately rather similar to the SS patterns. Then there is the obvious difference in the shape of the helmet. Not such a striking difference between the German and US helmets. Besides which the Yanks have never been particularly hot on their recognition skills!
Hmmm, that is true. But our ack ack knocked out of the sky several P38's through misidentification. One was hit by a battery at Harwich. It was dug up in the 80's I think, and bits of the pilot were still inside.

Hmmm, that is true. But our ack ack knocked out of the sky several P38's through misidentification. One was hit by a battery at Harwich. It was dug up in the 80's I think, and bits of the pilot were still inside.

So much so that we painted BFO white & black stripes all over our aircraft for the 2nd leg of the away match in June 44. Not that it stopped USN & RN types hammering away with the ack ack whenever anything with wings appeared in the sky.