Military Modelling

Very true. I think it was at E.Kirkby or possibly Elvington that I read that new crews from Canada suffered badly. Used to mile upon mile of very flat land they came to grief on night navigation training missions from bases in E.Yorks & Lincs; where the locality is pretty flat but comparatively close to the Peak district, N.Yorks moors and the Pennines.
The one that sticks in my mind involved a formation flight over a village fate. If I remember right two lancs touched and both crews were killed. I don't mind admitting to having a tear or two in my eye reading about it.

'Westland was aware that its design – which had been built around the Peregrine – was incapable of using anything larger without an extensive redesign. Building a Whirlwind consumed three times as much alloy as a Spitfire.'

Westland Whirlwind (fighter) - Wikipedia

So, 3 times the amount of alloy and twice the number of RR Merlins, if the redesign had been possible. Perhaps not then!
Shame really , had some real potential.

Anyone remember an Airfix kit of the Free Enterprise.

A particularly good friend of mine was not the first person onto the wreck, but the first with a radio. He co-ordinated the rescue for the next 18 hours, for which he was awarded the MBE.

I was doing the Merchant Navy degree in Liverpool at the time and the next day, having been told that the ship had sailed with the bow doors open, I used the ball-park figures provided by the BBC and fitted them into the formula for free surface effect. I did this in the naval architecture theatre, in front of 6 fellow MN officers and 2 naval architecture lecturers. A ship normally has a positive stability of 1 metre, but the number from my calculation was minus 11 metres. You add one to the other and you see why the ship rolled over so quickly. Nobody said a word, because we all knew what had happened.

Agreed, the Balsa Cabin do this flying model.

View attachment 358458
Sorry, doesn't do it for me at all. Forgiving the lack of 3-blade props due, I assume, to being a powered model, the lack of the 4 20mm cannon in the nose is an unmissable characteristic (and the whole reason for the operational existence) of the Whirlwind.

Last edited:
Australian trainer possibly
L5156 - Fairey Battle Mk.I
RAF History:
15/06/39 24 MU, RAF Ternhill,
30/03/40 36 MU, RAF Sealand,
01/05/40 To RAAF.

ADF Serials - Fairey Battle

The description of the colourised photograph is that it was taken over the Gippsland, Victoria coast. Possibly operating out of East Sale, Vic?

Love this forum!! Someone always comes up with the goods!
Read a book on a battle pilot who fought in May 1940, slaughter is a understatement. The Boche learnt their trade in Spain, while the RAF suffered from appeasement stifling aircraft design development and delay