Military Modelling

Thank you so very much! I was told and believed he had been shot down, rather than an accident. Perhaps the family didn't want to think that his life was over due to a possible mistake.
Given the location of the crash, it was still potentially an operational sortie, and in any case, if that thought gave comfort to his family, why not. Flying is always a dangerous business.

At the time of the crash, 105 Sqn was operating out of Villeneuve-Les-Vertus, in NE France.

Villeneuve-les-Vertus Aerodrome - Wikipedia

No. 105 Squadron Royal Air Force in the Second World War 1939-1945 - The Wartime Memories Project -

As the crow flies, the airfield is approx 10km from the area of the crash site.

Last edited:
Last edited:
For anybody considering the group build for WW1 this lot might be of interest. I bumped into them at the local show yesterday. Tommy's War

Nice clean figures. I was told that they would also be at the Telford show. While browsing I also found this lot. Complete diorama in a box.

IMG_8085.jpg
IMG_8087.jpg

Went yesterday to the SMC show in Veldhoven. Took a wad of cash and came home with an empty sack! Went looking for some large scale planes, preferably a Spit. Couldn't find anything that took my interest. Quite a few Wingnut kits at what seemed to be reasonable prices but I just don't want to tackle the fine veneer and rigging.

Found a bloke selling some old Airfix kits. Was almost tempted to pay 10 euris for a Golden Hind, which was the first kit I ever had but decided against it. Apart from the nostalgia angle I wouldn't be able to add anything to it. Anyone remember an Airfix kit of the Free Enterprise. It was the same price, First thought was a diorama of it on its side.

Good a idea for a heli that doesn't take up too much room on the piano:

IMG_8082.jpg

Liked this Prowler, not sure which kit it is though.

IMG_8078.jpg

This would have looked good in the Pacific GB:

IMG_8079 (1).jpg

There is the Airfix 1/72 Battle kit which gets re-released from time to time but is evidently not very accurate. Then you have the Classic Airframes 1/48 scale one if you can find it.

The same could have been said of the Westland Whirlwind, but we all know priority was given Spitfires and Hurricanes. Such a shame that we'd never find out.
'Westland was aware that its design – which had been built around the Peregrine – was incapable of using anything larger without an extensive redesign. Building a Whirlwind consumed three times as much alloy as a Spitfire.'

Westland Whirlwind (fighter) - Wikipedia

So, 3 times the amount of alloy and twice the number of RR Merlins, if the redesign had been possible. Perhaps not then!

Thank you so much!!!! That is certainly him. I would like to attend his grave in November if I can. Now to find out more about his mission.

According to "The Battle of France - Then and Now", Battle L4980 crashed and burned out near "Notre Dame", on the Chalons to Frere-Champenoise road west of Cheniers, during a night cross-country training flight 9.15 p.m.

Sorry to bring some more bad news.

Just posted a couple of updates in the Dauntless thread, but its getting close to finishing now.

IMG_0042.jpg

Three bits of canopy want glueing down, ariel wire wants putting on the antenna, one glass panel to put in beneath the pilots feet, and thats it - apart from making that bloody bit I dropped for the bomb release mechanism...

There is the Airfix 1/72 Battle kit which gets re-released from time to time but is evidently not very accurate. Then you have the Classic Airframes 1/48 scale one if you can find it.
The air fix kit offers you Greek insignia if you wish to go for the 1941 look. Or you could buy the VC quartet set for that pre lend lease RAF look.

According to "The Battle of France - Then and Now", Battle L4980 crashed and burned out near "Notre Dame", on the Chalons to Frere-Champenoise road west of Cheniers, during a night cross-country training flight 9.15 p.m.

Sorry to bring some more bad news.
Not at all. I was shocked when I went around the East Kirkby museum to see all the crash exhibits only to realise that they were all accidents. These things happen in war. Not everyone dies in action, but to me they are all hero's.

Not at all. I was shocked when I went around the East Kirkby museum to see all the crash exhibits only to realise that they were all accidents. These things happen in war. Not everyone dies in action, but to me they are all hero's.
Very true. I think it was at E.Kirkby or possibly Elvington that I read that new crews from Canada suffered badly. Used to mile upon mile of very flat land they came to grief on night navigation training missions from bases in E.Yorks & Lincs; where the locality is pretty flat but comparatively close to the Peak district, N.Yorks moors and the Pennines.

If you put 'notre dame cheniers' into google maps, it comes up as a known location on the D5, west of Chalons but north of Cheniers.

Last edited: