Military Modelling

Motor looks like it will be fine with a 15 inch wood prop and 5 cells.
Thank you HT - I have a 15 inch prop and this is the battery I bought - ZIPPY Compact 2700mAh 5S 25C Lipo Pack. Does that seem right to you?

You could just bolt the motor direct to the fire wall and cut a hole to get the battery forward and/or add lead. I'd be tempted to leave as is. My DR1 has a longer nose.
That's what I have been considering, but I am undecided at the moment. But the Camel's nose is way too long

Is battery space tight? If it isn't I would go for more mAh. If in front of CoG this will help balance it too.
CoG is only about four cm behind the 'firewall' so the placement wont help too much. plenty of space not too far behind the CoG.

Thank you for the advice on the battery

You could just bolt the motor direct to the fire wall and cut a hole to get the battery forward and/or add lead. I'd be tempted to leave as is. My DR1 has a longer nose.
photos needed of the DR1 :)

You could build a ply battery tray onto the front of the fire wall to shorten the nose if you can work out a way to access it.
Theoretically it could work. But having just lined everything up, I realise it would mean an extra ply construction in the fuselage - the battery would have to be mounted high to clear the engine cross mount:

Side view shows the longitudinal feasibility:

sc engine side view.jpg

The diagonals on the 'firewall' where the motor cross mounts will be show that the battery would have to be mounted very high if the CoG were to be ket forward:

sc battery bay.jpg

Not sure how much space you have, but can you do something like this?

Sop Cam battery.jpg

I think though, by the time you add the Vickers , the nose length won't look too bad. If it ain't got guns it's just a target!

Not sure how much space you have, but can you do something like this?

View attachment 358147

I think though, by the time you add the Vickers , the nose length won't look too bad. If it ain't got guns it's just a target!
Here's what someone else has done on the Camel - I'm tempted:

This chap has cut a hole towards the bottom of the firewall for the battery. He is still using the ply mount though. I would probably have gone for a 80 amp ESC, But 60 should be fine.

Sop Cam battery 2.jpg

This chap has cut a hole towards the bottom of the firewall for the battery. He is still using the ply mount though. I would probably have gone for a 80 amp ESC, But 60 should be fine.

View attachment 358178
I have the same ESC...

Battery underneath would work in terms of space and clearance. I'll take a look at that.

Perhaps they will be under there somewhere if they restore it

It had been an external exhibit for 56 years when I first saw it, so it had probably had had a few licks of paint by then. It is currently in the Australian War Memorial in Canberra.

In the early 70s, I went to the Bovington Tank Museum and there were half a dozen German AFVs there, all in their original camo, but being re-painted in something totally different. I was most disappointed.

Last edited: