Military Modelling

was it blown up by the crew? from that damage it looks like the force has come from the inside.
I don't know. When I first saw it (of twice). it had been repaired as a museum exhibit and was in pristine condition. It has obviously been repainted several times over the years and doesn't appear as how I want to portray it, as it was as a war prize.

0 a58.jpg

Hope the multiple posts are not too boring, but I am feeling rather chuffed with myself and the plastic covering considering what a spastic I am with models.

The early stage - looking like an OTC command post:

View attachment 357926

After some judicious ironing and some Stella Artois... Behold, a fetishists dream in latex:

View attachment 357927

I plan to spray in in matt varnish before venturing out of my dungeon.

I've even managed to get the leading edge straight:

View attachment 357928

More Stella required
Can I ask which kit you are building? It looks well engineered, and you are doing a great job there!

Can I ask which kit you are building? It looks well engineered, and you are doing a great job there!
Thanks HT. It's made by Dancing Wings Hobby, or DW Hobby and is sold through Hobbyking amongst others. Very accurate parts apart from two of the wing 'chords'/ribs and my kit was missing bolts and captive nuts for the undercarriage. Nonetheless, a tremendously good kit.

The instructions are woefully inadequate, but they do make one think a bit. Very enjoyable to build, but make sure you have enough space

Thanks for that!!! Hobbyking models tend to lack good instructions from my experience, but their pricing tends to make up for that.

What scale is your Sopwith? I assume you went for a film rather than a tex to save weight?

I don't know. When I first saw it (of twice). it had been repaired as a museum exhibit and was in pristine condition. It has obviously been repainted several times over the years and doesn't appear as how I want to portray it, as it was as a war prize.

View attachment 358088
what a shame they didn't just leave it in the original colours, time and hindsight are a wonderful thing.

Thanks for that!!! Hobbyking models tend to lack good instructions from my experience, but their pricing tends to make up for that.

What scale is your Sopwith? I assume you went for a film rather than a tex to save weight?
I'm not supposed to know the price as it was a birthday resent from the missus - but yes, very good value.

Scale works out at 1:5.6ish going by the kit wingspan of 1.52m and the real version being 8.53m. But be aware that the model is not for scale purists - the more I have looked into the plane online the more I realise that things are a somewhat different on the model- The engine cowling, for example, on the model is waaay longer the the real thing. That said, unless one's a Sopwith Camel geek it looks right.

Correct about the film - just seems to be what people use nowadays unless going for the ultimate scale look. I tempted fate by saying it was great stuff - I have just been covering a wing and art of it appears to have no adhesive on it. Some surgery underway at the moment. Update pics in three Heineken's time.

Not sure if it has an undercambered wing. If it does you might need to use something like balsaloc to increase adhesion. But I'm probably teaching you to to suck eggs. Have to say I would probably throw those wheels away! The guys on rcgroups seem to like it.

Not sure if it has an undercambered wing. If it does you might need to use something like balsaloc to increase adhesion. But I'm probably teaching you to to suck eggs. Have to say I would probably throw those wheels away! The guys on rcgroups seem to like it.
Believe me, anyone can teach me to suck eggs when it comes to balsa aircraft: I was probably about 12 years old when I made the last crappy effort, so any advice is most welcome.

The top wings are straight and the lower ones have a dihedral, so it is pretty faithful in that regard. All wings are removeable and slot onto fibreglass tubes and the set-up seems rock-solid. I'd never heard of balsaloc, thanks. I have been using thin cyanoacrylate to leach into the very tightly fitting joints followed up with pa glue applied with a paint brush. Load bearing joints such as undercarriage and wings have had a blast of epoxy resin.

The wheels will have to go - they look like they're from a traction engine.

So onto the next stages of the **** up..... Starting with the usual Joe Crow basha arrangement on the upper starboard wing, tack welded in place:

sc7.jpg

I'd noticed yesterday evening that the woodwork warps when the shrinking starts on the film, so I weighted it down as I ironed down on the framework prior to the real shrinking part:

sc8.jpg

Once I started the shrinking stage on a higher heat I noticed the part of the wing in the to right of the photo above wasn't sticking. After sitting down and analysing the situation drinking a beer, smoking a tab, and gobbing off on the Brexit Trade thread, I figured I had been using too high a heat on that area. So after a bit of surgery, the result below:

sc9.jpg

Some finessing to do, but overall I am still pretty chuffed.

Last edited:
Believe me, no-one can teach me to suck eggs when it comes to balsa aircraft: I was probably about 12 years old when I made the last crappy effort, so any advice is most welcome.

The top wings are straight and the lower ones have a dihedral, so it is pretty faithful in that regard. All wings are removeable and slot onto fibreglass tubes and the set-up seems rock-solid. I'd never heard of balsaloc, thanks. I have been using thin cyanoacrylate to leach into the very tightly fitting joints followed up with pa glue applied with a paint brush. Load bearing joints such as undercarriage and wings have had a blast of epoxy resin.

So onto the next stages of the **** up..... Starting with the usual Joe Crow basha arrangement on the upper starboard wing, tack welded in place:

View attachment 358106

I'd noticed yesterday evening that the woodwork warps when the shrinking starts on the film, so I weighted it down as I ironed down on the framework prior to the real shrinking part:

View attachment 358107
Once I started the shrinking stage on a higher heat I noticed the part of the wing in the to right of the photo above wasn't sticking. After sitting down and analysing the situation drinking a beer, smoking a tab, and gobbing off on the Brexit Trade thread, I figured I had been using too high a heat on that area. So after a bit of surgery, the result below:

View attachment 358108

what size engine is going in that then, and is it a glowplug jobby?

Believe me, no-one can teach me to suck eggs when it comes to balsa aircraft: I was probably about 12 years old when I made the last crappy effort, so any advice is most welcome.

View attachment 358106

View attachment 358107

View attachment 358108

Would a hair dryer be better than using the iron, if thats not a daft question