Military Modelling

Thanks for the information on the Gew gents, If I use a ww2 rifle half buried in mud, hiding the bolt and muzzle I should be able to use a 1/6th WW2 rifle.
I'm considering a 2nd Diorama during the GB of a 1/6 post ww1 Archaeology dig, a bit like my Skeleton in a shallow grave , but without the wry humour of a dog pinching a rib. So markers and tape and a German soldier being uncovered and repatriated. with "they shall not grow old" in German on the base.
"Sie werden nicht ältern" is the closest I can get. Or you could put "Ein unbekannter deutscher Soldat der ersten Weltkrieg" - An unknown German soldier of the Great War.

FFS, I've got completed aircraft that are smaller than that ....but on the upside, at least you can see what you're building :)
I think the size helps a lot - cue Actress to Bishop. I am incredibly hamfisted, and in my very early teens messed u a few tiny balsa wood rubber band aircraft. This one has gone together like a dream, and the odd blemish here and there gets overlooked in the bigger scheme of things.

Can't wait to crash it the first time on the first flight.

Hope the multiple posts are not too boring, but I am feeling rather chuffed with myself and the plastic covering considering what a spastic I am with models.

The early stage - looking like an OTC command post:

sc.jpg

After some judicious ironing and some Stella Artois... Behold, a fetishists dream in latex:

sc5.jpg

I plan to spray in in matt varnish before venturing out of my dungeon.

I've even managed to get the leading edge straight:

sc6.jpg

More Stella required

Hope the multiple posts are not too boring, but I am feeling rather chuffed with myself and the plastic covering considering what a spastic I am with models.

View attachment 357926

After some judicious ironing and some Stella Artois... Behold, a fetishists dream in latex:

View attachment 357927

View attachment 357928

More Stella required
That lot looks epic!

View attachment 357926

View attachment 357927

View attachment 357928

More Stella required
With ironing like that.....any chance you could do my shirts :)

With ironing like that.....any chance you could do my shirts :)
Thanks Daz - I'm amazed at how easily the stuff goes on.

Ref shirts, bear in mind I was an officer for a while... Yes, send them over I will enthusiastically put creases everywhere :D

Seconded I would have reduced it to matchwood by now
Kind words Helm. Believe me, I am an utter biff when it comes to models. But this one just seems to work.

Matchwood will be provided on the maiden flight.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Kind words Helm. Believe me, I am an utter biff when it comes to models. But this one just seems to work.

Matchwood will be provided on the maiden flight.
Me and wood have an agreement, I don't work with it, it doesn't split, warp or explode into a million pieces

I stole this from a FaceArse group, thought you might appreciate it @Simmerit

FB_IMG_1539835929790.jpg

In WW1 they were mostly sporting the Gewehr 98. Being rather long and unsuited to trench combat by WWII they'd chopped a bit off and largely sported the Kar98k, as far as I'm aware from my readings.

Pretty much the same action with a shorter barrel and deploying an improved 7.92x57mm cartridge it seems.
Kar 98B was a Gew 98 with turned down bolt handle to be within the Versailles treaty restrictions

Kar 98AZ, Kar98A was Shortened
Gewehr 98 - Wikipedia

I got hold of a Weston Toy Co A7V Sturmpanzer on ebay. I think it is more like 1/32 than 1/35, but there you go. There were only 20 built, some were knocked out and others were captured by French, New Zealand and Australian forces. Under the terms of the Versailles Treaty, the survivors were all dismantled, apart from one which was shipped to Australia and put on display outside Brisbane Museum. Since I've actually seen it, so I've got a decal sheet from Brisbane. I contacted the museum and they sent me a small booklet on the tank, named "Mephisto". If ever a booklet should be printed in A4 size, it is this one. Trying to work out what the colours were used from some 100 year old monochrome photos should be fun, because the decal intructions aren't much of a help.

0 a52.jpg
0 a34.jpg
0 a40.jpg
0 a40.jpg
0 a40.jpg

Last edited: