Military Modelling

Anyone know if there is a difference between the German WW1 Mauser standard issue infantry Bolt action rifle and the one the German Army Issued in WW2?
Yes mate there was. WW2 was the Kar98k. K meaning kurz or short, it was about six inches shorter I think.

Edited to add: I wasn't far out. The Gewehr 98 as used in WW1 was 49.21in long (1250mm). The Kar98k as used in WW2 was 43.70in (1110mm).

Last edited:
Anyone know if there is a difference between the German WW1 Mauser standard issue infantry Bolt action rifle and the one the German Army Issued in WW2?
In WW1 they were mostly sporting the Gewehr 98. Being rather long and unsuited to trench combat by WWII they'd chopped a bit off and largely sported the Kar98k, as far as I'm aware from my readings.

Pretty much the same action with a shorter barrel and deploying an improved 7.92x57mm cartridge it seems.

The RMAS Boxing Team one.
Well I never. Stood next to the only female in the photo I presume? I am front row without a tracksuit - couldn't afford one at the time.

I am two down from her. With no tracksuit at all or with no boxing team tracksuit?

the WW1 Tankie figures have arrived, took a while, but the casting quality appears excellent.

close up view of one of the figures, typical for resin figures, some of the casting block has to be removed, typically from the feet. Very pleased so far, more detail from the 1st of November when the WW1 Gb kicks off.

Thanks for the information on the Gew gents, If I use a ww2 rifle half buried in mud, hiding the bolt and muzzle I should be able to use a 1/6th WW2 rifle.
I'm considering a 2nd Diorama during the GB of a 1/6 post ww1 Archaeology dig, a bit like my Skeleton in a shallow grave , but without the wry humour of a dog pinching a rib. So markers and tape and a German soldier being uncovered and repatriated. with they "shall not grow old" in German on the base.

I am two down from her. With no tracksuit at all or with no boxing team tracksuit?
Oops - I missed Ocdt G between her and you. No tracksuit at all for me - just boxing vest and shorts

the WW1 Tankie figures have arrived, took a while, but the casting quality appears excellent.

close up view of one of the figures, typical for resin figures, some of the casting block has to be removed, typically from the feet. Very pleased so far, more detail from the 1st of November when the WW1 Gb kicks off.
Leave the casting blocks on, the guy was ahead of his time. Platform boots would have been quite useful for the muddy end of the trench. In a tank; maybe not so.

Gewehr 98 (WWI):-

Kar98k (WWII):-

But there's also this. Not to be confused with the later Karabiner 98k or earlier Karabiner 98A (uppercase A), the Karabiner 98a (Kar 98a) was a shorter version of the Gewehr 98 originally made for cavalry and support unit use.

Karabiner_1898a.jpg

During World War I, the Karabiner 98a was issued to light infantry, to cavalry, to mountain troops, and later to assault troops. It was liked because it was lighter and shorter than the Gewehr 98, and was thus better suited for use in trench assaults.

My first attempt at coating something with this new-fangled iron-on stuff. Abit of finessing to do, but very impressed how easily it goes on and how much it shrinks. The tailpane is 16.5 inches btw:

View attachment 357764

The scheme I am going for:

View attachment 357765

FFS, I've got completed aircraft that are smaller than that ....but on the upside, at least you can see what you're building :)