Military Modelling

Been away all weekend and came home to find this had arrived from Tommy's War:
_20181015_183156.JPG

Possibly a bit over the top on packaging! Inside is a beautiful crisp moulding with only a little flash. Just needs a bit of a clean up and I'll be good to go. Only slight hitch is the complete lack of base to put him on. I may have to go shopping again!
_20181015_184440.JPG

Make one! Go to Dioramas page have look at the simple base my Father made for his Grenadier.
An off cut of mahogany nice and thick and the width wants to be around 1/3rd to 1/2 the height of the model. Plaster of Paris for the ground, you could mix in a bit of silver sand to give it some texture. Maybe a twig or a couple of stones. Or even use a bit of coal, broken up. (There was a large fight at a coal mine.) Have fun.

Edit. Forgot..... You'll have to paint it. :omfg:

Last edited:

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
View attachment 357552
Possibly a bit over the top on packaging! Inside is a beautiful crisp moulding with only a little flash. Just needs a bit of a clean up and I'll be good to go. Only slight hitch is the complete lack of base to put him on. I may have to go shopping again!
View attachment 357555
Depending on what you have in mind for a base there's loads of stuff out there, from fancy woods to cheap and cheerful stuff
This was a cheap decorative moulding from B&Q
I decided to ruin what little was left of my sanity and eyesight by doing the ground work and adding some 9mm spent cases to it
I also added a bit of fencing to break it up a bit. Cases were fuse wire carefully cut to length and painted a dirty brass, fence twisted fuse wire and cocktail sticks (cheap me ?)

View attachment 357552
View attachment 357555
I'm going to get the lancer + horse to go with my Mk1

My first attempt at coating something with this new-fangled iron-on stuff. Abit of finessing to do, but very impressed how easily it goes on and how much it shrinks. The tailpane is 16.5 inches btw:

sc tail.jpg

The scheme I am going for:

Sopwith-Camel-B3889-Side-Profile-View.png

The beginnings of a French street diorama. I have a ruined shop front and some street furniture to add, I’m just playing with the layout at the minute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Always preferred the RNAS Camels myself.

Good shout - I did consider an RNAS version, but as my modelmaking and painting skills are not great I went for an easy option with 1:5 decals available online - albeit at a hair-raising rice

Good shout - I did consider an RNAS version, but as my modelmaking and painting skills are not great I went for an easy option with 1:5 decals available online - albeit at a hair-raising rice
Fair dues, and your experimenting with the 'iron-on stuff' is challenging enough! Good luck! However, there are some Naval 9 Camels with a red cowling as the only adornment, if you decide you've had enough of PC10.

The beginnings of a French street diorama. I have a ruined shop front and some street furniture to add, I’m just playing with the layout at the minute.

you going to join the WW1 Group build then?

Anyone know if there is a difference between the German WW1 Mauser standard issue infantry Bolt action rifle and the one the German Army Issued in WW2?

I had to look twice at that last one Si, thought you'd taken it on your Holiday to the US
Thank you. Just posted the latest progress in the dauntless build. Nearly there!! Wont finish Saturday as I'm shooting, but Sunday is the big day!!

great choice, any decisions on figure options?
Not yet, I’ll be shopping around this weekend. I’m thinking of some kind infantry and tank assault but need to do some research.