• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Military Modelling

Just being doing some Vietnam War research - one of the books I've been reading has some great pics of Vietnam era US aircraft with some rather groovy paint jobs and colorful markings. I thought they'd look nice in model form...

Particularly the Thud and the A-7 Corsair...

Now don't you lot go running off and getting carried away again...it was just a suggestion...;-)

Last edited:
if, like me, you're too knackered after your run, to model, you might like to catch this model making film by Adam Savage (Myth Busters) he was an ILM model maker in his past and here he tackles a Cosmonaut Garage kit, weathering, extra led lighting and airbrush use, quite entertaining series of online shows, he makes me laugh as his enthusiasm makes him fun to watch, says cool too many times for a guy his age, but with the skills on show, I can forgive that

if, like me, you're too knackered after your run, to model, you might like to catch this model making film by Adam Savage (Myth Busters) he was an ILM model maker in his past and here he tackles a Cosmonaut Garage kit, weathering, extra led lighting and airbrush use, quite entertaining series on online shows, he makes me laugh as his enthusiasm makes him fun to watch, says cool too many times for a guy his age, but with the skills on show, I can forgive that
I think I posted this video a while ago. He did another 1 day build of some Battlestar models and showed just how fast he can work this stuff. It's brutal and dirty but the end result is undeniable. His workshop is out of this world. Everything a "maker" could want, every power tool or engineering/machining kit you can think of etc. and that's before you consider his prop collection which makes me drool.

Last edited:
Yep its right up there in the top 10 for me as well. Mine are:

1. Corsair
2. Typhoon
3. Skyraider
4. Spit
5. Mosquito
6. FW190
7. ME262
8. Mustang
9. Helldiver
10. Dauntless
I'll go 1,4,5 and 8 plus a Hurri just to complete the set with the Spit. A Lanc in 1/32 would be interesting (such a beast does exist) but I suspect it would be prohibitive to paint. The modern age is a whole new list.

I'll go 1,4,5 and 8 plus a Hurri just to complete the set with the Spit. A Lanc in 1/32 would be interesting (such a beast does exist) but I suspect it would be prohibitive to paint. The modern age is a whole new list.
I did hum and ha about the Hurricane - its an ace piece of kit, but plug ugly IMHO.

Love the Corsair by the way - nice job you are doing on it. I'd love one but I still have a load to build.... I was also considering the Trumpeter 1/32 Hellcat - looks quite nice

I did hum and ha about the Hurricane - its an ace piece of kit, but plug ugly IMHO.

Love the Corsair by the way - nice job you are doing on it. I'd love one but I still have a load to build.... I was also considering the Trumpeter 1/32 Hellcat - looks quite nice
The Hurri is certainly function over looks. No wonder pilots wanted to get in a Spit. Still, back in the day, we'd have been in a bad way without them. Airfix had a 1/24 version but that's no longer in the catalog, largest scale version seems to be 1/48.

The Hurri is certainly function over looks. No wonder pilots wanted to get in a Spit. Still, back in the day, we'd have been in a bad way without them. Airfix had a 1/24 version but that's no longer in the catalog, largest scale version seems to be 1/48.
Trumpeter do 1/24th but its pricey

Mmmmm. Anyone done a BBMF set yet?

Thanks @daz. Fitted both wings last night. Starting to look like it might fly.
Mines dead again...need to rethink the paint due to it not sticking :(

Long loved that old warhorse.

'Sandy low Lead, Sandy low Lead. Devil five oh five'

Name that fillum
Wild Geese? Happy Birthday by the way!