Military Modelling

Seeing as there is a lot of aircraft modelling going on here, I thought this the best place to ask.

I picked up a book in an airport recently, called "Big Week". It's the story of 8th AF taking the LW apart in early 1944. One of the illustrations shows the "combat box" formation in 3d, and I'm tempted to model it. Trouble is, to get 3000 feet into about 3 feet, I'm looking at 1:1000 scale, so I'd need about 30 B17s and B24s with a wingspan of about 1 inch.

Any ideas where I can get some at reasonable price?

Seeing as there is a lot of aircraft modelling going on here, I thought this the best place to ask.

I picked up a book in an airport recently, called "Big Week". It's the story of 8th AF taking the LW apart in early 1944. One of the illustrations shows the "combat box" formation in 3d, and I'm tempted to model it. Trouble is, to get 3000 feet into about 3 feet, I'm looking at 1:1000 scale, so I'd need about 30 B17s and B24s with a wingspan of about 1 inch.

Any ideas where I can get some at reasonable price?
Try these guys at 1/1200 scale.

C2U11 Consolidated B-24D Liberator x2
C2U21 B-17G Flying Fortress x2

Amazing. I spend an hour searching google, ebay, amazon but it takes 8 minutes to get an answer om Arrse.

Price looks good st £3.50 a pair, but the markings are a bit iffy.

You can see my next question...Where do I get decals for a 1944 B17 in 1:1200?
The power of ARRSE!
Serious question,how visible would the markings be in that scale?

If you can draw and print yours onto decal sheet, then you must seal it with a couple of light sprays of aerosol varnish, because the print dyes are not waterproof and will otherwise run. Learn from other people's mistakes, rather from your own, i.e mine.

Hi Load-fin

The other thing is that printers don't print white, but rely on the background paper for that feature. I have 20 years experience as a computer graphics artist. I am recently retired, bored stiff and my 21 year old cat died just before Christmas. If you would like any help with your project, I'm in.

Hi Load-fin

The other thing is that printers don't print white, but rely on the background paper for that feature. I have 20 years experience as a computer graphics artist. I am recently retired, bored stiff and my 21 year old cat died just before Christmas. If you would like any help with your project, I'm in.
Cheers Pete,

I'm thinking that the planes might be an Xmas present from Mrs Fin. She always says she doesnt know what to get me.

I might take up your offer when I see exactly how small the planes are. Might just go for silver - my thought was to show the formation in a three foot high perspex case rather than accurately model, 56 planes.
Yes, that's 56 planes in a combat wing of 3 combat boxes. About 3000 feet in height, about 1000 feet square.

Watch this space!

Cheers Pete,

I'm thinking that the planes might be an Xmas present from Mrs Fin. She always says she doesnt know what to get me.

I might take up your offer when I see exactly how small the planes are. Might just go for silver - my thought was to show the formation in a three foot high perspex case rather than accurately model, 56 planes.
Yes, that's 56 planes in a combat wing of 3 combat boxes. About 3000 feet in height, about 1000 feet square.

Watch this space!
Good luck, I hope it goes well and you succeed. I'm really looking forward to seeing the result of your efforts

Good luck, I hope it goes well and you succeed. I'm really looking forward to seeing the result of your efforts
Thanks. Don't hold your breath!

I haven't made a model for 40 years, and this just seems like a good idea. Not sure how im going to do it yet; first thought is fine fishing line secured top and bottom.

I've ruled out adding some "little friends" diving from 5000 ft above to take on the attacking me262s.

Thanks. Don't hold your breath!

I haven't made a model for 40 years, and this just seems like a good idea. Not sure how im going to do it yet; first thought is fine fishing line secured top and bottom.

I've ruled out adding some "little friends" diving from 5000 ft above to take on the attacking me262s.
Speak to @SPROCKET321 he tends to use rods for his cased jobs, you might try the same idea?

Best of luck with the plan BTW