Military Modelling

I think those shots show how far kits have come along...… getting a flush fit might be ……...interesting :)
I remember getting that kit as a kid and thinking what a marvel it was - full cockpit detail? Wow! And yet I saw the pictures yesterday and thought, 'Ugh!'

The Airfix Gloster Gladiator just had a flat space under the canopy and a bobble of plastic to represent the pilot's head.

It's a long time since I attacked anything with Humbrol and Britfix but, as evidenced by some of my posts, I do like to look. It's a bloody marvel where the state of the modelling art has advanced to - and the skill levels.

well I'm all about getting a silk purse from an old kit right now, but it's two forward one back at the moment, now where did I put that Johnsons clear?
I'm not sure Johnsons clear will clear that up ….BTW, what is Johnsons clear called these days?

I remember getting that kit as a kid and thinking what a marvel it was - full cockpit detail? Wow! And yet I saw the pictures yesterday and thought, 'Ugh!'

The Airfix Gloster Gladiator just had a flat space under the canopy and a bobble of plastic to represent the pilot's head.

It's a long time since I attacked anything with Humbrol and Britfix but, as evidenced by some of my posts, I do like to look. It's a bloody marvel where the state of the modelling art has advanced to - and the skill levels.
Perhaps that last bit in bold is due to age and a wiliness to take some time over things, rather than splurging that weeks pocket money in a bid to get a quick fix?

Oh, and Britfix was bloody awful stuff, only slightly better than the rubbery/plastic squeezy glue bulbs you used to get in kits,

For the young kids, this is what it used to look like :)

post-6.jpg

USe that Tamiya polish I posted the other day. Spot on for it
I was thinking more for spraying over as a gloss coat before applying decals, I've seen loads of reference to it, just never seen it for sale.

Gun barrels in ….hopefully, once the glues dried, the clamps can come off and the addons will stay on :)
IMG_20180821_204512.jpg

Perhaps that last bit in bold is due to age and a wiliness to take some time over things, rather than splurging that weeks pocket money in a bid to get a quick fix?
Ha, indeed! If it didn't go together there and then... I spent a whole day from morning until bedtime putting together the Airfix Bofors gun and Scammell tractor. The instructions started with the tractor, and that alone had 100-ish parts. I remember sweating on the time taken. The gun was fewer in parts but still had a few.

Happy days.

Oh, and Britfix was bloody awful stuff, only slightly better than the rubbery/plastic squeezy glue bulbs you used to get in kits,
Oh gawd, those glue bulbs were dreadful. There was either never enough glue in the things or when one inserted a needle there was an explosion of glue leaving too little behind to complete the kit.

Last edited:
Ha, indeed! If it didn't go together there and then... I spent a whole day from morning until bedtime putting together the Airfix Bofors gun and Scammell tractor. The instructions started with the tractor, and that alone had 100-ish parts. I remember sweating on the time taken. The gun was fewer in parts but still had a few.

Happy days.
Well, you could always go back and have another bash at it, its being re-released soon, Airfix Vintage Classics - Bofors 40mm Gun & Tractor 1:76 Airfix A02314V Airfix Vintage Classics - Bofors 40mm Gun & Tractor 1:76

I was thinking more for spraying over as a gloss coat before applying decals, I've seen loads of reference to it, just never seen it for sale.
Can’t recall the replacement name but if you google klear replacement product floor wax and you’ll get it.

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Well, you could always go back and have another bash at it, its being re-released soon, Airfix Vintage Classics - Bofors 40mm Gun & Tractor 1:76 Airfix A02314V Airfix Vintage Classics - Bofors 40mm Gun & Tractor 1:76
You mean these babies?
s-l225.jpg
s-l300.jpg

Both models pictured were purchased two weeks ago from e-bay and are on the workbench alongside various Bedfords, Austins, Humbers and Commers. I intend doing a comparison review between the upper and lower kits just to see if quality has improved or degenerated.

Can’t recall the replacement name but if you google klear replacement product floor wax and you’ll get it.
I've just checked - Johnson's Klear.
Got mine years ago but I suspect any poundshop acrylic polish is the same.
I wouldn't ask or look for 'floor wax' though - acrylic polish.
Ta for that lads, its given me a few clues as to what to look for.

For the young kids, this is what it used to look like :)

View attachment 347323
I've still got 11 full tubes of that crap. 'Does not string.' My arse.
The only thing its good for is basing figures.
I'm just too tight to bin it.

Once I have the basic M113 chassis and hull done I'll be able to adapt it to most versions.
I'm using this web page as a reference for the 1/144 scale M113 and I thought you guys might like to see it as well.

Awesome project - the level of detail and work required is very impresive...

1/16 scale RC M113 ACAV