Military Modelling

dusted off the Harder & Steenbeck Evolution to finish this off as I think the Iwata is shite - everyone raves about them but I've never really got away with it.

Anyway

View attachment 346694
dull alu all done now, so next is some masking, then a shade of aircraft green here and there. Unfortunately I'm waiting for the stuff to turn up as mine went off as I've not used it for 2 years. I guess that means the Avenger this weekend if it 'no-shows'.

Evolution deffo the better airbrush
Nice wear to it …..Good to see the antennas are holding up, I'd of knocked them off by now :)

Nice wear to it …..Good to see the antennas are holding up, I'd of knocked them off by now :)
There should be a lot less wear that its showing at the minute when its finished

I do have the 1/24 Tiffy from Airfix + after market, so that’s me sorted
Jeez - what is the wingspan on the completed model? :)

Been a bit quiet on the modelling front due to holidays and moving my workshop to new premises.

However, just finished this one which is currently waiting a final once over before being prepped to send off for moulding up...

1/144 scale M1 Abrams (the original production model as deployed to USAREUR in the early 80s. This is the original 105mm gunned version (the one used in the book Team Yankee) without the enlarged turret and extra stowage.

After previous experience with designing these things for casting in metal some of the smaller/thinner components such as the main gun barrel and the met sensor on the turret rear have been made slighter thicker than they should be to allow for shrinkage in the moulding and casting process.

m1abrams_1.jpg

m1abrams_2.jpg

m1abrams_3.jpg

m1abrams_4.jpg

Starting work on the M113 series next - I'll do a basic hull with all the main bits, get that cast up in metal and use the metal hulls as the base for for the various different flavours - M113 ITV, M577, M125 etc etc. :)

Should have some pics of some of the painted models for my own collection soon. In the meantime I took a couple of pics at the start of a recent game. I needed a water course to repesent a canal in West Germany. While rummaging in my boxes of scenery I found some river pieces that we had won in quiz night at one of the wargame shows about 10-12 years ago. I'd completely forgotten about them. I was quite please when I took the pics - the nice blue sky outside reflected rather nicely off the gloss varnish on the "water"... :)

reflection in water.jpg

Last edited:
@Auld-Yin seems to have tucked this thread under his arm for care and consideration, so maybe he has a view? I dont think we want to recreate one of the modelling forums, but I'm sure there more than two dozen of us dropping in on this thread from time to time
And probably a host of readers like me, who admire the skill, and may yet be inspired to take modelling up again. More spare cash (and time) now than I had as a teenager. Although my lego collection is beginning to wind up Mrs Relaxed quite nicely. :)

But I am curious why everyone is into planes, when they were all in the Army and take the proverbial out of the RAF at any opportunity... ;)

if I build it as a G-6 would that be acceptable for summer 44, or had the G-6's all been shot out of the sky by then, and replaced with newer versions?
No, they were the main version at the time, G10's came in around August 44 - G14's were a offshoot of the G6's incorporating all the mods to date. They entered service around July 44 and were deployed straight to the Western Front.

I'll dig out some references later for you re units and schemes :)

About two foot I think. I’ve got the mosquito as well - that’s about three foot. They are monsters
Not exactly military modelling but certainly monsters - I've always fancied trying something like these kits...

One day... :)

And probably a host of readers like me, who admire the skill, and may yet be inspired to take modelling up again. More spare cash (and time) now than I had as a teenager. Although my lego collection is beginning to wind up Mrs Relaxed quite nicely. :)

But I am curious why everyone is into planes, when they were all in the Army and take the proverbial out of the RAF at any opportunity... ;)
We aren’t all into planes - we are on the group build of Pacific theatre models which may explain the plane obsession. Quite a few of us do armour, so watch out for the WW1 build in November!

And then there are a couple of weirdos who enjoy painting figures. It takes all sorts! :-D

A plea for help...
I got a Tamiya Universal carrier off flea-bay, but it doesn’t have any tracks.

Does anybody have any ideas of where I can get replacements? My Google-fu is weak and only came up with a place in the Netherlands and a price of £25, which is close to 4x what I paid for the kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not exactly military modelling but certainly monsters - I've always fancied trying something like these kits...

One day... :)
That reminds of the (very) old Airfix kits ….used to be painted with the same paints used for aircraft and armour :)
ad.jpg

Ex Space Cadet..... I only joined the Army because they'd take us on at 16, rather than wait until I was 17 1/2 and then join the RAF

That T Rex looks more terrified than terrifying....

That T Rex looks more terrified than terrifying....

I suspect he's in the Dino equvilent of the dog house with Mrs T-Rex :)

Nice work on the M1 BTW, looking forward to the M113 ITV...….. is it going to be followed by the M113 C4 & M113 Sky :)

Still working on the floats :)

Just needs sanding down when the hatches are fully dry, next up on the shopping list, a hollow punch set :)

IMG_20180818_165745.jpg