Military Modelling

Do Royal Marine Lynx's not count as being naval equipment sporting an army paintjob? Although I'll grant that they were/are the army/land (skidded) model, not the navy/sea-born (wheeled) model.

As in, "My Arse Rides In Naval Equipment."
I'll agree with that point. What I should have written, to try and be accurate, is that I believe it's the only wheeled RN Lynx to be given an Army camouflage paint job.

Do Royal Marine Lynx's not count as being naval equipment sporting an army paintjob? Although I'll grant that they were/are the army/land (skidded) model, not the navy/sea-born (wheeled) model.

As in, "My Arse Rides In Naval Equipment."
Right, are you sitting comfortably? Then I'll begin...

Back in the days when the Royal Marines manned Lynx and Gazelles as 3 Cdo Bde Air Sqn (3BAS) the aircraft were technically owned, and maintained by the Army. RM Officers, SNCOs and JNCOs flew them and the groundcrew were a mixture of AAC and RM, with maint being conducted by the REME.

Then the RN decided they wanted to change things, so they took over 3BAS and renamed it 847 NAS, they flew and maintained the Lynx and Gazelle and all the trades were taken on by RN personnel. Any RM aircrew wishing to continue to fly had to either commission into the RN, or try to transfer to the AAC. Quite a few NCOs did actually commission, some even went on to fly in the flight aboard HMS Endurance.

Now that we have no more Lynx 847 NAS is equipped with MWildcat, which has no anti-tank capability. So an AAC Apache (656) Sqn is dedicated to the maritime role (see Op Ellamy operations over Libya, this excellent book is well worth the read for this operation).

Does the book mention how much of the NATO ISTAR effort was sucked into doing pre-mission soak to allow the Apaches to go feet dry?
Have you read it?

No, which is why I was asking.
And the reason I'm not answering is that I sense you have an agenda, and this thread isn't the place for it.

And the reason I'm not answering is that I sense you have an agenda, and this thread isn't the place for it.
No agenda. I have a reasonable knowledge of the operation and am trying to ascertain (which I couldn't definitively from the reviews on Amazon) whether this is an 'in-cockpit' focus or, as it seems, deals with the wider issues of Apache ops in Libya in the context of the whole operation. Based on your defensive over-reaction, I expect I won't be bothering with this one.

Last edited:
Sorry gentlemen it is in Korean but worth a squint. 1/350 U-boat VII/C "The beginning of the end."
Fuck me sideways! That is awesome work.

By the by, did they really shoot torpedoes at each other (with the expectation of a hit) when submerged in the days before remote guidance and homing units? I know they do it in U-571 but as historically and technically accurate movies go that one is utter pants.

By the by, did they really shoot torpedoes at each other (with the expectation of a hit) when submerged in the days before remote guidance and homing units? I know they do it in U-571 but as historically and technically accurate movies go that one is utter pants.
ISTR reading decades ago that it happened once,in 1945. Royal Navy took out a U-Boat.
Probably down to luck and guesswork.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer

I believe HMS Venturer? took out two U boats, I am sure I read it somewhere.

Needs some touching up......and various bits like the wings reattached :)

IMG_20180723_215046.jpg

Needs some touching up......and various bits like the wings reattached :)

View attachment 343514
That's looking good.I've spent part of the weekend stripping back paint.

Was using some of the Tamiya stuff but its useless in this weather. How the folks at Tamiya manage in Japan's climate I don't know. As soon as I open up one of the pots it starts to skin over. Push a brush in and it won't load as the surface tension is too high. Tried extracting some paint and adding thinners but that just extended the usefulness to maybe a minute tops instead of 15 secs. Vallejo, Mig and AK don't seem to suffer the same but they are acrylic rather than a lacquer (if I remember correctly).

At the same time I cocked up trying to paint Tamiya on top of Vallejo and forgot to buffer it first with varnish. What a fricking mess. A toothbrush and water helped clean up though and I can start again.

That's looking good.I've spent part of the weekend stripping back paint.

Was using some of the Tamiya stuff but its useless in this weather. How the folks at Tamiya manage in Japan's climate I don't know. As soon as I open up one of the pots it starts to skin over. Push a brush in and it won't load as the surface tension is too high. Tried extracting some paint and adding thinners but that just extended the usefulness to maybe a minute tops instead of 15 secs. Vallejo, Mig and AK don't seem to suffer the same but they are acrylic rather than a lacquer (if I remember correctly).

At the same time I cocked up trying to paint Tamiya on top of Vallejo and forgot to buffer it first with varnish. What a fricking mess. A toothbrush and water helped clean up though and I can start again.
Have you tried using some retarder and seeing if that helps cure the problem? I know that Vallejo flog some in a small bottle, so it might be worth experimenting,

Best of luck with the repaint BTW