Military Modelling

Gents, I'm in the process of fitting out the workbench in the mancave and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for lighting solutions?
I use a nice big anglepoise style light (ebay cheapie). I got the longest I could get and it goes right at the back of the bench and can cover the whole work area either low down for close up or high up to flood the area.

It takes GU10 bulbs and I use led bulbs in warm white not the plain white ones that give a very harsh blueish light which is hard on the eyes for me. The warm white gives a very good "almost daylight" light quality.

I also have a spare halogen bulb on the bench to change to for when I need a bit of heat to bend resin or make epoxy run better when messing round covering my fishing lures with devcon.

Thanks for the lighting suggestions, much appreciated.

Well, that puts the cat among the pidgeons !! Trailer arrived a week early,allowed to open parcel to confirm what it was. Itchy bloomin fingers now ! Back in Amazon box and out of sight. Must concentrate on PTB :)

Making a bit of progress but about to pack in for the day
Thanks for the comparison. I'd always thought that the TBF was noticeably later than the SBD; I guess it must just be the 'generous' depth of the fuselage that gave that perception.

One more colour to go.....and the undercarriage at some stage
IMG_20180722_192502.jpg
IMG_20180722_192515.jpg

This looks so wrong, but it's right!
Westland Lynx XZ691 was, around 1980, a HAS.2 variant of the Royal Navy. It was painted in Army camouflage for support of Op Banner in NI. I believe it's the only RN wheeled Lynx ever to have been painted in this scheme. No RN titling appeared on the boom.
WM - Reduced for AARSE.jpg

The kit is the excellent Airfix 1/48 scale HMA.8 kit, backdated using traditional modelling methods rather than the available resin conversion kits. The map is a 1:250,000 I used in 1976.

Edited to add that I believe it's the only wheeled RN Lynx to be painted in Army camouflage.

Last edited:
This engine is numbingly good and it’s such a shame hardly any of it will be seen

9A7A2807-6D0D-46C2-9FCC-219CAF9F89A1.jpeg

Westland Lynx XZ691 was, around 1980, a HAS.2 variant of the Royal Navy. It was painted in Army camouflage for support of Op Banner in NI. I believe it's the only RN Lynx ever to have been painted in this scheme. No RN titling appeared on the boom.
View attachment 343364
The kit is the excellent Airfix 1/48 scale HMA.8 kit, backdated using traditional modelling methods rather than the available resin conversion kits. The map is a 1:250,000 I used in 1976.
You should post your builds mate or more importantly go and get a pacific kit to build sharpish and join in. You’ve got til November 10th to finish it

Thanks for the comparison. I'd always thought that the TBF was noticeably later than the SBD; I guess it must just be the 'generous' depth of the fuselage that gave that perception.
The avenger is 25% bigger - it’s mahoosive

You should post your builds mate or more importantly go and get a pacific kit to build sharpish and join in. You’ve got til November 10th to finish it
Please note that Si did not give a year for the November 10th finish date :)

Aargh! AARGH! You've done it now.

I had some old 1970s Tamiya 1/35 kits, I intended to put as a bundle on ebay, I decided instead to have a go at making them. I have now been sucked in.

The Matilda II has been backdated to a BEF Mk l.
The Stuart has been backdated to a Op Torch M3 (petrol) - despite being slightly warped, a short time weighted in a warm oven sorted it out
The T34/76 - a short time in a warm oven knacked the abysmal tracks which I was feeling very satisfied with paint job.

So I'm on the cadge! Don't want to invest too much on new aftermarket tracks as I'll probably still put them on eBay at some point.

Any advice on locating scrap T34 waffle tracks, Russian red star decals, yellow US stars, 1940 BEF and 9th Pz Div decals?

Postage costs paid - pints negotiable.

Ended up redoing the wings
IMG_20180722_214440.jpg

Westland Lynx XZ691 was, around 1980, a HAS.2 variant of the Royal Navy. It was painted in Army camouflage for support of Op Banner in NI. I believe it's the only RN Lynx ever to have been painted in this scheme. No RN titling appeared on the boom.
View attachment 343364
Do Royal Marine Lynx's not count as being naval equipment sporting an army paintjob? Although I'll grant that they were/are the army/land (skidded) model, not the navy/sea-born (wheeled) model.

As in, "My Arse Rides In Naval Equipment."