HahahahahahaHahahahahahaHahahahahahaHahahahahahaHahahahahahaHahahahahaha

As if!!
The only thing stopping me doing it is a bit of filling on the engine cowling

D5A08066-A86B-4F46-B16E-6B46A0F148AD.jpeg

Which is about 10 minutes work and I just have a mental block

The only thing stopping me doing it is a bit of filling on the engine cowling

View attachment 343016

Which is about 10 minutes work and I just have a mental block
I know what you mean about mental block, you know it's a simple ten minute task but you just can't seem to even look at it. I wouldn't touch it. you will not give of your best to it and all that work up to now could be marred. Wait until you feel like doing it again before tackling it. Put it safe up out of the way until you have a clear bench.

Right in the middle of the war in the Pacific, with the Japanese on the run, the train came off the rails. typical, I have a clear bench, save that mad wagon, to get stuck into something new and...

my friend who runs Sussex Model Centre, asked me to glass up a train his Dad left him. Did it up last year and the shelf brackets couldn't hold the weight, crash, down it came, all of 6 inches, but even in this giant scale that's like a real one coming off a bridge, ok a culvert then.

Last edited:
so, what to do?

a strip out all the glass and order new
b re attach the train to the rails, this time wire the axles to the track
c collect glass and glue together
d re finish model in rail lines and glue down glass dome. job done.

the model is so heavy, not something I deal with every day, but he sells my models and makes this hobby inexpensive for me, cos I never make a profit from it. So I'll fix this for cost only.

I know what you mean about mental block, you know it's a simple ten minute task but you just can't seem to even look at it. I wouldn't touch it. you will not give of your best to it and all that work up to now could be marred. Wait until you feel like doing it again before tackling it. Put it safe up out of the way until you have a clear bench.
That is exactly where I am with it

well I really am a Pacific war draft dodging thread wanderer now, the wheels, English Wheelwrights used to paint their wagons, but this being a US vehicle, not sure if I'm going off on a tangent painting the first wheel. The instructions say to wood stain light oak. I like it, what do you all recon.

answered my own question, no way I'm getting the paint off now, anyway, looks a nice contrast with the black fittings

the tyre in the kit is just a rubber gasket, but the real one was an iron hoop, heated by the blacksmith and hammered on before being cooled with water.

answered my own question, no way I'm getting the paint off now, anyway, looks a nice contrast with the black fittings

the tyre in the kit is just a rubber gasket, but the real one was an iron hoop, heated by the blacksmith and hammered on before being cooled with water.
Aluminium Baking tray perhaps? or perhaps a tin can etc cut and trimmed for a real metal look?

Aluminium Baking tray perhaps? or perhaps a tin can etc cut and trimmed for a real metal look?
true, no finish is going to last long on the trail. The metal tyres would revert to steel/bare polished iron. Bet those iron tyres got hot. You'd have to piss on it or find a stream to cool it before the tyre comes off.

this is a detail of the Haywain (wagon) by Constable

Right in the middle of the war in the Pacific, with the Japanese on the run, the train came off the rails. typical, I have a clear bench, save that mad wagon, to get stuck into something new and...

my friend who runs Sussex Model Centre, asked me to glass up a train his Dad left him. Did it up last year and the shelf brackets couldn't hold the weight, crash, down it came, all of 6 inches, but even in this giant scale that's like a real one coming off a bridge, ok a culvert then.
That driver is going to be in deep shit if he hits that can of beer

Creating a mancave from the office and I came across this, from June 1974, rescued a couple of years ago from the mother's. I used to have every copy from '72 - '77, but she threw them all out bar this one.

Airfix Magazine June 1974_resize.jpg

Creating a mancave from the office and I came across this, from June 1974, rescued a couple of years ago from the mother's. I used to have every copy from '72 - '77, but she threw them all out bar this one.
Went on a mission a few years ago to scan all the Airfix Mags I had, took me bloody ages! However, I've now got 1967 to 1977 complete as searchable PDFs. Wish I'd kept all my Military Modelling Mags too...well, maybe not, I'd still be hunched over the scanner now.