Military Modelling

Its a lovely model with a cracking paint job.....just not sure about the dagger in the gob, he looks like he'd be more likely to be smoking a fag with that expression?
To be honest I never thought about changing the model. That's an idea it might well look better with a fag or even a pipe, I can always change it. I was just interpreting the box it came in.

commando.jpg

I could get back into this, I'm quite inspired.

The thing is I haven't built anything since about 1980 when I discovered girls, booze and smoking and I suspect things have moved on a bit since the days of Airfix and Humbrol paint.

Can anyone point me towards sort of how to book that explains how things are done these days?

Depends on what you fancy building, there's plenty of webpages dedicated to just about every form of modelling known to man.....or failing that, there's more than a few (very) odd bods on this thread who'd offer advice on specific subjects, boats, planes, figures etc

I'd say, start with something simple and cheap, and go from there, otherwise you're going to end up spending a small fortune and run the risk of disappointing yourself.

My second build, cheapo Airfix 1/72 BF109E Feb 2017
16939005_10212379633266333_9034932766832999753_n.jpg

Last completed build J7W1 Shinden in 1/48 April 2018
31435677_10216421130821246_6843212418244411392_n.jpg

Last edited:
To be honest I never thought about changing the model. That's an idea it might well look better with a fag or even a pipe, I can always change it. I was just interpreting the box it came in.

View attachment 342923
Looking at the photo behind the model, that's more than likely why it looks odd to me, in the original photo, he's clearly gripping the dagger with his teeth, as opposed to the model where he's balancing it on his lip, hence it looking a bit odd to my eyes, if that makes sense......still a cracking job either way

I could get back into this, I'm quite inspired.

The thing is I haven't built anything since about 1980 when I discovered girls, booze and smoking and I suspect things have moved on a bit since the days of Airfix and Humbrol paint.

Can anyone point me towards sort of how to book that explains how things are done these days?
I’d say to just go for it. I hadn’t built anything for 30 odd years when I found this thread. It’s incredibly satisfying - but beware of becoming a stash addict. I already have 9 kits and loads more on watch on fleabay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking at the photo behind the model, that's more than likely why it looks odd to me, in the original photo, he's clearly gripping the dagger with his teeth, as opposed to the model where he's balancing it on his lip, hence it looking a bit odd to my eyes, if that makes sense......still a cracking job either way
Ummm user error, my bad. :(

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Very nice, the eyes need a little work to make it superb, put a drop of blue or grey in the white to tone it down slightly and surround the iris with a very fine dark circle. If I can be so bold to use one of mine, thus
To be honest I really struggle with eyes and skin tones. It also doesn't help in not having steady hands. It's getting to the point were I'm using old army shooting techniques and trying to control my breathing just before applying the paint to the eyes.

I’d say to just go for it. I hadn’t built anything for 30 odd years when I found this thread. It’s incredibly satisfying - but beware of becoming a stash addict. I already have 9 kits and loads more on watch on fleabay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Get posting then and join in!!

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
To be honest I really struggle with eyes and skin tones. It also doesn't help in not having steady hands. It's getting to the point were I'm using old army shooting techniques and trying to control my breathing just before applying the paint to the eyes.
Eyes are a nightmare, for the skin try oils they're more forgiving and can be blended as you go. I paint the eyes first personally.

Exhausts are in at last
IMG_20180719_223056.jpg