Military Modelling

What is your reason for using Tamiya thinners with Vallejo? I only ask as I have found that some colors thin better than others. Also Alcohol works really well with a few colors but wrecks others so although I prefer Alcohol, it is very finicky. Is Tamiya thinner a fast drying thinner?

When thinning acrylics you need to check the base ingredient before using different makes of thinner to paint. Some (like Vallejo iirc) are latex based that won't accept some thinning mediums. Get it wrong & you could make a right mess of things.
I'm still preferring tamiya for airbrushing tbh. Its been a stable of mine now for 30 odd years I reckon & not a complaint at all. Works lovely through any PSI or thinning ratio & works great with water.

When thinning acrylics you need to check the base ingredient before using different makes of thinner to paint. Some (like Vallejo iirc) are latex based that won't accept some thinning mediums. Get it wrong & you could make a right mess of things.
I'm still preferring tamiya for airbrushing tbh. Its been a stable of mine now for 30 odd years I reckon & not a complaint at all. Works lovely through any PSI or thinning ratio & works great with water.

Yep, I have lost a Cessna Dragonfly and a Tamiya Zero this year due to poor thinner / paint mixes and not getting my psi right.

Yep, I have lost a Cessna Dragonfly and a Tamiya Zero this year due to poor thinner / paint mixes and not getting my psi right.
I always use the manufacturers thinner and dont take the risk as it a ball ache scrubbing knackered paint off.

Anyway

IMG_1002.jpg

Halford's finest on the under surfaces and Mr Surfacer 1000 in a few places should sort out the joins.

Leaving this overnight now, so the debate is finish the S&M lesbo movie (wonder woman) having thoroughly enjoyed Atomic Blonde last night - tasty blonde and brunette at it and the music was from the 80s or look at the Avenger, or both at the same time..

I got home tonight to find the Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire on my doorstep.
Heavy box for a kit and my god what a detailed model. It really is worth every penny. It is as detailed and lovely to look at in kit form as a Wingnut Wings model.

I am going to really enjoy this one. Although I have the Dauntless to finish tonight and a Stream NXT to build and prep this weekend.

I think I will put the Zero and Swordfish on hold for the time being. I think the Spit will be my next plastic model.

I got home tonight to find the Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire on my doorstep.
Heavy box for a kit and my god what a detailed model. It really is worth every penny. It is as detailed and lovely to look at in kit form as a Wingnut Wings model.

I am going to really enjoy this one.
piccies or we dont believe you

No probs. I'm looking forward to seeing progress son your build. I'm ready to prime now and i've not painted a plane for 42 years, so this is going to be interesting!!
Well, the SBD might be done by Christmas...…………...just not sure which one :)

Still working intermittently on the Hell(ish)cat when time and eyesight permit …...but at least the wings are now on, and all the bloody gaps filled, next job is the exhaust stubs as the kit ones are...….****, to say the least, not even worth the effort to drill them out

IMG_20180718_215136.jpg

Ooh, it fits like a dream, well done Tamiya. Needs to be glued into place once I've finished the wheel bays and quite a lot of flap work so still ample opportunity to cock it up.

View attachment 342741

Trying to work out how best to paint the thing. There are a lot of areas that need masking off. Doing it in parts would be easier but could have problems matching the colours. At the rate I've been going through the blue paint this is going to take a few bottles of the Vallejo Air Color. Sometimes the colour can vary a bit between bottles. Next option would be to paint it in panels then if there are any shade changes it would just look like somebody had riveted on a different panel.
You should stick all the photos on something like a flicker album........ handy for the rest of us to refer too later on :)

I've just had a look at this Avenger properly and its bloody huge. The 1/32 fast air models must be bloody enourmous

Vallejo Model Air comes pre-thinned unlike the Model Color (just seen the error in my post). I like the sponge foam idea.
Tried it today after seeing @Skunkmiester past photos on here, seems to have worked ok

Model Air is supposed to be pre thinned but I still find that it is way too thick to spray at the low psi that I prefer for painting and very low for detailing. I thin it 50/50 (Vallejo thinner) for base colors and 1 drop to 20 drops of alcohol white or dark grey for shading.

I had a couple of models ruined with bad paint, I thought that my airbrush was dirty or the paint was bad. However after watching the Tamiya Corsair build on youtube, I realized that I was using way too much psi. So I had to thin down all paint using pipettes for mixing. I then clean out using a plant sprayer bottle.

Bookmarked for (very) later reference, thanks :)

What is your reason for using Tamiya thinners with Vallejo? I only ask as I have found that some colors thin better than others. Also Alcohol works really well with a few colors but wrecks others so although I prefer Alcohol, it is very finicky. Is Tamiya thinner a fast drying thinner?
Just find it works for me, and I'm less likely to knock the container over or over fill the airbrush than when using the Vallejo version :)