Military Modelling

Balls, that means I'm going to need something around .38mm at some stage , thanks for the info
No probs. I'm looking forward to seeing progress son your build. I'm ready to prime now and i've not painted a plane for 42 years, so this is going to be interesting!!

I hate each & every one of you on this group build. I haven't had a chance to do anything with my 4 figs on the go at one time stupidity in weeks now & am having withdrawal problems.
I have a cunning plan though, the missus is away with her mates for a weekend in a couple of weeks & i will get everything modelling out of the cupboard & set the whole fecking lot up in the living room on a table I'll move in there including my compressor (have that wench!!) & i will spend a glorious 48 hours of painting everything I have on my to do list & beginning to make my Jagdtiger. Plus watch some fillums on the box, walk the dog, play with the dog, usual household chores crap & then pack it all away before she comes home. Win.

Ooh, it fits like a dream, well done Tamiya. Needs to be glued into place once I've finished the wheel bays and quite a lot of flap work so still ample opportunity to cock it up.

sIMG_7307.jpg

Trying to work out how best to paint the thing. There are a lot of areas that need masking off. Doing it in parts would be easier but could have problems matching the colours. At the rate I've been going through the blue paint this is going to take a few bottles of the Vallejo Air Color. Sometimes the colour can vary a bit between bottles. Next option would be to paint it in panels then if there are any shade changes it would just look like somebody had riveted on a different panel.

I hate each & every one of you on this group build. I haven't had a chance to do anything with my 4 figs on the go at one time stupidity in weeks now & am having withdrawal problems.
I have a cunning plan though, the missus is away with her mates for a weekend in a couple of weeks & i will get everything modelling out of the cupboard & set the whole fecking lot up in the living room on a table I'll move in there including my compressor (have that wench!!) & i will spend a glorious 48 hours of painting everything I have on my to do list & beginning to make my Jagdtiger. Plus watch some fillums on the box, walk the dog, play with the dog, usual household chores crap & then pack it all away before she comes home. Win.
Excellent plan! The 48 hr execution window might be a bit tight, just saying like. Don't know how well trained the hound is, maybe he could help with the painting or household chores. They're generally better than a dishwasher when it comes to the dishes.

Ooh, it fits like a dream, well done Tamiya. Needs to be glued into place once I've finished the wheel bays and quite a lot of flap work so still ample opportunity to cock it up.

View attachment 342741

Trying to work out how best to paint the thing. There are a lot of areas that need masking off. Doing it in parts would be easier but could have problems matching the colours. At the rate I've been going through the blue paint this is going to take a few bottles of the Vallejo Air Color. Sometimes the colour can vary a bit between bottles. Next option would be to paint it in panels then if there are any shade changes it would just look like somebody had riveted on a different panel.
I should think that when 50/50 thinned, you would only need 1/4 of a bottle of Vallejo at the most.
Also I have found that using dense sponge foam as blockers for cockpits and wheel wells is ideal for masking. Obviously you have to be careful with the cockpit though as you don't want to ruin the lovely work you have done on it so far.

New Wonder Woman film and Atomic Blonde - worth a watch whilst the mrs is away:)

I should think that when 50/50 thinned, you would only need 1/4 of a bottle of Vallejo at the most.
Also I have found that using dense sponge foam as blockers for cockpits and wheel wells is ideal for masking.
Vallejo Model Air comes pre-thinned unlike the Model Color (just seen the error in my post). I like the sponge foam idea.

View attachment 342741

Thats looking great

Vallejo Model Air comes pre-thinned unlike the Model Color (just seen the error in my post). I like the sponge foam idea.
Model Air is supposed to be pre thinned but I still find that it is way too thick to spray at the low psi that I prefer for painting and very low for detailing. I thin it 50/50 (Vallejo thinner) for base colors and 1 drop to 20 drops of alcohol white or dark grey for shading.

I had a couple of models ruined with bad paint, I thought that my airbrush was dirty or the paint was bad. However after watching the Tamiya Corsair build on youtube, I realized that I was using way too much psi. So I had to thin down all paint using pipettes for mixing. I then clean out using a plant sprayer bottle.

or Tissue paper as a cockpit blocker, softer and kinder to your fine detail, as far as slight paint batch subtle changes panel to panel, for some reason airframe panels do wear differently, maybe an airframe fitter type will be along to give the real reason.

or Tissue paper as a cockpit blocker, softer and kinder to your fine detail, as far as slight paint batch subtle changes panel to panel, for some reason airframe panels do wear differently, maybe an airframe fitter type will be along to give the real reason.
Different reasons usually, temperature changes sustained to knicking a panel of another frame. I'm going for the flying museum look at the end of the day so apart from some general grime and wear somebody will have lovingly spent hours polishing the overal frame.

Model Air is supposed to be pre thinned but I still find that it is way too thick to spray at the low psi that I prefer for painting and very low for detailing. I thin it 50/50 (Vallejo thinner) for base colors and 1 drop to 20 drops of alcohol white or dark grey for shading.

I had a couple of models ruined with bad paint, I thought that my airbrush was dirty or the paint was bad. However after watching the Tamiya Corsair build on youtube, I realized that I was using way too much psi. So I had to thin down all paint using pipettes for mixing. I then clean out using a plant sprayer bottle.

Good idea. The blue is a bit thicker than some of their other colours in the Air series. I turned back the psi some time ago. I was using way too much paint for what was needed with ugly results to follow. Easy hidden on a panzer but not so on airframe panels. Just recently replaced my needle which helped a bit as well. I'd been a bit clumsy with the point of the other one. Thanks for the mix ratio on the shading colours. I liked the results it gave on the last models you put up here.

Also I have found that using dense sponge foam as blockers for cockpits and wheel wells is ideal for masking. Obviously you have to be careful with the cockpit though as you don't want to ruin the lovely work you have done on it so far.
I tend to use the Tamiya thinners on the Vallejo paint, the mix varies depending on the colour and PSI its being sprayed at ...some colours need more thinning than others for some odd reason :(