Military Modelling

dunno whats going on over london, but we live on the flight path from Lincolnshire to London always get the various flight go over us nice and low. Anyway - out with hound and no bloody contact lenses in. Looked like a DC10, P-38, a Corsair and it was a similar shape to a wellington but smaller go over me. Numbed. Absolutely brilliant

dunno whats going on over london, but we live on the flight path from Lincolnshire to London always get the various flight go over us nice and low. Anyway - out with hound and no bloody contact lenses in. Looked like a DC10, P-38, a Corsair and it was a similar shape to a wellington but smaller go over me. Numbed. Absolutely brilliant
Flying Legends is on this weekend at Duxford.

Flying Legends is on this weekend at Duxford.
Just googled them. I KNEW I saw a Blenheim yesterday, but I doubted it as I didnt think any were flying anymore.

I'd assumed a Mitchell but it looked like a single tail fin, so I was struggling to work out what it was.

Nothing like AFV recognition skills honed as an 11 year old building airfix models!!

As well as RIAT at Fairford. Don't know what the line up is but there may be aircraft transiting to display at both shows.
lets have a look at the Corsair then?? You must be well on your way by now?

No sign of my Avenger - bloody Amazon..

I'm back on the wagon, not in the daz sense, but there's no way of introducing a wee dram while making this, honestly, it's been a while since I've had to concentrate on anything like this before, quite a challenge. Got the first Hind wheel spoked out, closest thing I made to this was one of the balsa wood gliders, made with pins, clingfilm and wood glue.

Gosh Gee, sure is purdy.

I'm back on the wagon, not in the daz sense, but there's no way of introducing a wee dram while making this, honestly, it's been a while since I've had to concentrate on anything like this before, quite a challenge. Got the first Hind wheel spoked out, closest thing I made to this was one of the balsa wood gliders, made with pins, clingfilm and wood glue.

Gosh Gee, sure is purdy.
20180614_152438.jpg
20180614_152505.jpg

I've got this for sale if you fancy trying again.

Finally bodged up a new version of the throttle quadrant.

View attachment 342083

Wiring loom added to the instruments on the side wall (not shown above) as well as linkages between the throttle and the engine. Cockpit added and its starting to look like an aircraft even down to the speed tape.

View attachment 342084

The cockpit assembly wasn't glued together but only slotted together. It was only fixed to the side walls when I was sure it was in the right place. This allowed for final adjustments ensuring its correct placement. Had I glued it earlier I would have had issues getting it into the right place and closing the fuselage.

View attachment 342085

Photo isn't great but I'm happy with that. Can't see the wiring looms that I added but the throttle looks like it might control something.
The flare gun, did it come with the kit??....echo the other statements about it being stunning BTW

Well after all that I've ended up going the same route as @SPROCKET321

View attachment 342097
superglue - its too fiddly for soldering with my eyesight these days.

One small tip whilst I'm on in case anyone wasnt aware

View attachment 342099
dissolves superglue, so if you make a mess, wet a cotton bud and moisten the CA glue. It will then lift off with a scalpel blade with a gentle scrape.

just saying.

Avenger due to turn up today, so its band of brother tonight and crack on with the plane!!
That stuffs banned from the house on orders of SHMBO.....even the daughters have to remove their nail polish outside of the house :)

Just got back from a quick spin on the bike. The Avenger is here - the mrs is not. I've done three of those sodding flaps. There is no beer in and the debate is do I crack on with the plane and watch the first episode of Band of Brothers, or do I watch the new Wonder Woman film on Sky which is based on the story of the bloke that authored the Marvel character and his and his wife's affair with the girl who the character was based on.

So the choice is:

- WWII US paras
or
- Lesbian Sado Masochism, with a bit of Marvel thrown in for good measure

either whilst building the plane.

here's the Avenger. Its mahoosive

IMG_0966.jpg

I suspect we've all be in model shops like this :)