Military Modelling

There used to be a former RNZAF Avenger in Kuirau Park in Rotorua (and a Valentine tank, if I recall correctly) which I used to play on as a child. They were removed in the early 1970s and the Avenger (NZ2527) restored back to ground-taxi status in Auckland in the last few years - coincidentally, it was the only Avenger held on the civil register in NZ. Seeing the one held by the RNZAF Museum some 15 years later as an OCDT, I was amazed at how huge the Avenger was. They played an important role in post-war economic development in New Zealand - they were used for aerial top-dressing trials to improve pasture in the high country sheep stations.

1531153504282.jpg

Last edited:
Road wheels look about right.
Well, they were supplied with 255 Mk II, III and V Valentines, so either a late III or a V it would seem

Oh I have them as well.

It can be built/set up for several ‘scenarios’ - includes Old Han, Finn, Rey as well as original trilogy characters. May do Original Trilogy as seen on the outside and when opened up have TFW characters inside, for example.

The plan is to line the base with some sort of Star Wars poster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Can I be the first to say..... In bold, I've no idea what you are talking about, but its a nifty idea :)

In a lot of cases it doesn't even improve on the kit part. Just PE for the sake off it. Its taken me a fair old time with the layout of the cockpit as some of the PE placing is not so much accurate as convenient as in "We'll just bung it there, they won't know". The only way is to find pictures of the real thing and then adjust everything to the reality where having the PE does help when it comes to making the parts.
That's one of the reason for me not bothering with buying their set to build the hellcat with- the bloody parts are wrong in the first place, the etched replacements are still wrong, too fiddly to use, or not worth bothering with :)

Knocked that missing bit out which means I can press on with the wings and under surfaces

IMG_0891.jpg

Still not done those Eduard flaps yet as I cant find my flux anywhere, so waiting for mail order delivery to turn up, but got a couple of other bits stuck, so some progress.

Knocked that missing bit out which means I can press on with the wings and under surfaces

View attachment 341666

Still not done those Eduard flaps yet as I cant find my flux anywhere, so waiting for mail order delivery to turn up, but got a couple of other bits stuck, so some progress.
That's rather cool I must say :)

Here's the tank in Kuirau Park - mid 1960s. Is it a Valentine? I remember it stank of wee...

Yes, the 3rd Independent NZ Armoured Squadron briefly saw action in the Pacific using Valentines. They were camouflaged with small light green patches on top of the dark OD. A third of the tanks were converted to Close Support variants, replacing the 2pdr with the 3-inch Close Support Howitzer.

Re the Avenger: I had a flight in an Avenger in September 1989 - exactly one week before I joined up. It had been used as the camera ship for 'Memphis Belle' (they mounted the camera in the rear turret) and the rear half was roughly painted with USAAF OD to make it look something like the back end of a B-17. If you watch the film, you can see that the camera plane has a square-topped tail, whereas the B-17 has a rounded tail. It was based in Duxford, but I think it's now in New Zealand or Australia.