Military Modelling

Here's the tank in Kuirau Park - mid 1960s. Is it a Valentine? I remember it stank of wee...

Yes, the 3rd Independent NZ Armoured Squadron briefly saw action in the Pacific using Valentines. They were camouflaged with small light green patches on top of the dark OD. A third of the tanks were converted to Close Support variants, replacing the 2pdr with the 3-inch Close Support Howitzer.

Re the Avenger: I had a flight in an Avenger in September 1989 - exactly one week before I joined up. It had been used as the camera ship for 'Memphis Belle' (they mounted the camera in the rear turret) and the rear half was roughly painted with USAAF OD to make it look something like the back end of a B-17. If you watch the film, you can see that the camera plane has a square-topped tail, whereas the B-17 has a rounded tail. It was based in Duxford, but I think it's now in New Zealand or Australia.

Bit more on the MINI. Sadly the black on the pillars bled through the masking, ruining the white top. This is after the first stage of rescue work.

I'm also not completely happy about the silver band round the waist. This one may be weathered to hide the errors, but I'll see what it looks like with the decals on first!
IMG_0301.JPG

next stage of the Zero paint scheme, a green series of airbrushed circle patches over light grey, next some yellow bands..
Nice paint job....but that cowls going to be a bitch to fix, the studs? should act as a sort of spacer given a look like the pic below

21231673_10214329021519821_271516142499302584_n.jpg

A little more on the mini MINI:

IMG_0309.jpg

The Tamiya flexible tape I used round the wheel arches is pretty good, any faults are mine in putting it on. Need to do a bit of touching in and finish the area under the base of the front grille, but decals going on soon. I'll then see how much of the dodgy paintwork these cover before deciding whether to weather or not...

Falcon update - it’s going to be tight! Hope the cabinet maker chap didn’t skimp on the measurements

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

this is my first attempt with these cockpit glass masks, Eduard do them too, these came with the Tamiya kit, but they aren't even pre scored, you have to cut them out, I can see my mistakes when the picture is enlarged like this, that top section needs re-placing. The piece marked front is ok, but that's 10mm long, quite large.

Falcon update - it’s going to be tight! Hope the cabinet maker chap didn’t skimp on the measurements

I have been wondering how such a small ship can have so much space inside seeing as it must have very thick armour (it has been hit stacks of times in the films), and it must have a lot of engine in order to be so fast.

Where the hell is the engine?

I have been wondering how such a small ship can have so much space inside seeing as it must have very thick armour (it has been hit stacks of times in the films), and it must have a lot of engine in order to be so fast.

Where the hell is the engine?
The armour is the energy deflector shield. The engines are nuclear, or something, that a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away was the result of miniaturisation.

It's still disproportionate between inside and outside, though. Using the cockpit as a guide there's standing room between top and bottom hull yet you have to climb up or down a vertical tunnel to get to the dorsal and ventral turrets. There's the impression of several living spaces in addition to the chessboard compartment (sleeping quarters, etc) and below-decks avionics (spacionics?) bays. And that's before we look at actual cargo holds - it's a freighter, after all.

When you watch the movie with Han and Chewie in the cockpit and compare the cockpit pod exterior there simply isn't room inside for everything set in the interior scenes. Unless in a galaxy far, far away they'd discovered the Tardis before the BBC...

The armour is the energy deflector shield. The engines are nuclear, or something, that a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away was the result of miniaturisation.

It's still disproportionate between inside and outside, though. Using the cockpit as a guide there's standing room between top and bottom hull yet you have to climb up or down a vertical tunnel to get to the dorsal and ventral turrets. There's the impression of several living spaces in addition to the chessboard compartment (sleeping quarters, etc) and below-decks avionics (spacionics?) bays. And that's before we look at actual cargo holds - it's a freighter, after all.

When you watch the movie with Han and Chewie in the cockpit and compare the cockpit pod exterior there simply isn't room inside for everything set in the interior scenes. Unless in a galaxy far, far away they'd discovered the Tardis before the BBC...
also, whenever they seem to need to do any work on "the engine" it usually involves rooting about in the crawl space under the floor rather than retiring to an engine room.

typical half arsed yanks. JRR Tolkien wouldn't even have published until he'd developed a working version of a hyperdrive

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer

It's, made of handwavium as any fule kno

I shall keep you appraised of my findings!

the Zero model itself I'm calling this one done, later on I'll make it's base and case.
No pun intended but you are flying. I’ve made no progress at all. The good news however is that the Mrs is off for 10 days with work, so I can crack on without any complaints about mess and watch band of brothers again.