Military Modelling

Just to lighten the mood a bit as we appear to be in the NAAFI

View attachment 339649
There were cobwebs on it this morning.......

I will also be ordering a new one to finish it - the mrs' lad broke one of the rotors and its unfixable
See, I'm not that obsessed with details, that's @Simmerit , I merely titivate things :)

Cockpit on Corsair not yet finished owing to a cock up with the rudder pedals. Cock up became a right balls up before order was restored but it has put a delay on things. Decided to put that to one side and see what else I could tackle. Finished the assembly for the tail wheel well and it fits perfectly. Just need to paint a few of the joints in the elevator rods.

sIMG_0585.jpg

Was so taken away by the purest blue that I overcooked the air brushing a bit. Forgot that the Vallejo coverage was a bit more rapid than the Ammo-Mig stuff. Decided to leave it for a night and see if it will sort itself out otherwise I'll be trying the Dettol dip. Not even sure if there's any in the house. Might have to be Toilet Duck from the cocktail cabinet. The assembly for the wheel well looked a bit ropey when I was putting it together but it fits the fuselage perfectly, sans fettling. Which is just as well as I'll need my fettling time for the seat harness.

Here's the runners in the harness stakes. On the left, the brass substitutes looking very harness like but rather two dimensional and on the right, the cloth version which needs held down to stop it jumping away of its own accord.

sIMG_0586.jpg

Cloth version has no detail at all. I tried adding some on a gash piece but both ink and paint just spread out and left a smudge. The left hand side may yet win the day but not before I've spent a few hours swearing at the cloth version.

The other bit is the pilot's map case. Almost forgot to add that as I'd binned the original and cut off the pins to hold it in place.

Last edited:
Everyone on here Will tell you figure painting is rock hard - that’s because its rock hard!!

Brilliant first effort after years away from the interest. When I screw up I drop the errant bit in detol and start again. Try watching some YouTube’s - there are loads, but do t let your head drop. There’s plenty encouragement on here from the lads and half the fun is learning and improving
Is it possible to use dettol on patches? Reason for asking is that I completely screwed up one wing of an FW190 - stupidly then over painted it & lost loads of detail - that’s with Humbrol acrylics btw.

Ta

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyone on here Will tell you figure painting is rock hard - that’s because its rock hard!!
There are a couple of sickos on here that actually seem to enjoy it though. Me and @Helm for starters!

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Is it possible to use dettol on patches? Reason for asking is that I completely screwed up one wing of an FW190 - stupidly then over painted it & lost loads of detail - that’s with Humbrol acrylics btw.

Ta

try it on a scrap piece first, but I would have thought a Dettol soaked sponge would do it without too much problem.

getting to the closing stages of the Matchbox 1/32 scale SBD, time now to work on the base and dive angle, I might see if I can find an image of The Akagi, before she burst into flames and sank, for the base display.

got to order some glass for it's display case too

getting to the closing stages of the Matchbox 1/32 scale SBD, time now to work on the base and dive angle, I might see if I can find an image of The Akagi, before she burst into flames and sank, for the base display.

That's a fine looking aircraft you have there.

the crew were ancient characters for another war, or rather another planet.

overall I'm quite pleased with how this ancient kit turned out, with a little help from our friend Ed and the spares box.

That's a fine looking aircraft you have there.
Thanks, as George Formby would have said "turned out nice again"

I should be tucking into a box of Tamiya Zero right now, but the postman delivered this first, November's Group Build subject, or rather one of several WW1 subjects I'll be tackling. So, time to work on the SBD display base and to get that glass ordered.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer

Any good?

Ta

yep you can paint it on and leave it - just be careful about wiping it off. It has the same effect as brake fluid on the paint work of shiny sports cars parked on council estates in Sunderland........

Cockpit on Corsair not yet finished owing to a cock up with the rudder pedals. Cock up became a right balls up before order was restored but it has put a delay on things. Decided to put that to one side and see what else I could tackle. Finished the assembly for the tail wheel well and it fits perfectly. Just need to paint a few of the joints in the elevator rods.

View attachment 339676

Was so taken away by the purest blue that I overcooked the air brushing a bit. Forgot that the Vallejo coverage was a bit more rapid than the Ammo-Mig stuff. Decided to leave it for a night and see if it will sort itself out otherwise I'll be trying the Dettol dip. Not even sure if there's any in the house. Might have to be Toilet Duck from the cocktail cabinet. The assembly for the wheel well looked a bit ropey when I was putting it together but it fits the fuselage perfectly, sans fettling. Which is just as well as I'll need my fettling time for the seat harness.

Here's the runners in the harness stakes. On the left, the brass substitutes looking very harness like but rather two dimensional and on the right, the cloth version which needs held down to stop it jumping away of its own accord.

View attachment 339677

Cloth version has no detail at all. I tried adding some on a gash piece but both ink and paint just spread out and left a smudge. The left hand side may yet win the day but not before I've spent a few hours swearing at the cloth version.

The other bit is the pilot's map case. Almost forgot to add that as I'd binned the original and cut off the pins to hold it in place.
is the one on the left etch?

Last edited: