Military Modelling

I’ve been following this thread for a while and, frankly, been in awe at some of the skills you lot display. Having not made a model since I was about 13 (30 years ago), I took the plunge and spent a small fortune on models, paint, glue, files, snips
and brushes. I’m hooked.
This is my first attempt, a bit clumsy in places and not yet finished; there is a lot of kit to be painted and mounted, but this is the base of it.
Any advice or criticism would be welcomed, especially about how to make the figures a little more realistic.
Thanks for reintroducing me to a boyhood hobby that I can do in public.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Everyone on here Will tell you figure painting is rock hard - that’s because its rock hard!!

Brilliant first effort after years away from the interest. When I screw up I drop the errant bit in detol and start again. Try watching some YouTube’s - there are loads, but do t let your head drop. There’s plenty encouragement on here from the lads and half the fun is learning and improving

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Everyone on here Will tell you figure painting is rock hard - that’s because its rock hard!!

Brilliant first effort after years away from the interest. When I screw up I drop the errant bit in detol and start again. Try watching some YouTube’s - there are loads, but do t let your head drop. There’s plenty encouragement on here from the lads and half the fun is learning and improving
I think people who say that, think it because it's different, personally, I think wings and tracks are a nightmare :eek:

I just like getting my moneys worth out of a cheap(ish) kit
I used to build 1:72 aircraft when I was a lad. I used to just put them together as they came off of the frame and then paint them as I could be bothered, though. When I stopped being a lad and became A Lad they took turns to go downrange in the garden to absorb .177" wadcutters so they are all no more.

That some of them may have involved chemical reactions involving various substances that may have included lighter fluid are entirely unfounded true.

I remember learning to paint large-scale figures from a free booklet attached to Military Modelling magazine. It worked brilliantly, but I realised that large-scale figures were too much like hard work, so stuck to teeny-weeny figures, with a totally different method (start with a black undercoat and layer up the colours from dark to light - it doesn't really work with large-scale figures).

Daz, I simply can't understand why somebody has given you a "dumb" sticker for your efforts. I have picked up two this weekend, myself, I couldn't care less about anybody else's opinion about me, but that one is just wrong.

Regards - Peter.

Daz, I simply can't understand why somebody has given you a "dumb" sticker for your efforts. I have picked up two this weekend, myself, I couldn't care less about anybody else's opinion about me, but that one is just wrong.

Regards - Peter.
It's a running joke... Anyone who does anything that incredibly detailed is clearly an idiot... ;) I remove them after comedic effect has been achieved.

Then you clearly have an incredibly low sense-of-humour thresh-hold. Turd.
Pot, Kettle, say again colour, over. I'm sure that Daz appreciates you white-knighting on his behalf, but please refer back to his post 13,028 above... Daz is fully aware that I find his work absolutely incredible and he's SABC'd some of my stuff in the past. It's flippin' banter...

Anyway, duly changed to a Like. Normal service resumed.

Pot, Kettle, say again colour, over. I'm sure that Daz appreciates you white-knighting on his behalf, but please refer back to his post 13,028 above... Daz is fully aware that I find his work absolutely incredible and he's SABC'd some of my stuff in the past. It's flippin' banter...

Anyway, duly changed to a Like. Normal service resumed.
I believe the correct key setting is thus:-

Kettle, Kettle; Pot: over.
Pot, Pot; Kettle: Send traffic, over.
Kettle; Pot: Black. Out.

I think people who say that, think it because it's different, personally, I think wings and tracks are a nightmare :eek:
That's because figure painters are odd :)

I used to build 1:72 aircraft when I was a lad. I used to just put them together as they came off of the frame and then paint them as I could be bothered, though. When I stopped being a lad and became A Lad they took turns to go downrange in the garden to absorb .177" wadcutters so they are all no more.

That some of them may have involved chemical reactions involving various substances that may have included lighter fluid are entirely unfounded true.
Firework propelled jets were also a good one...….shame about H&S these days

Regards - Peter.
It's a running joke... Anyone who does anything that incredibly detailed is clearly an idiot... ;) I remove them after comedic effect has been achieved.
That......and its a long, long running joke, I've just waiting for @Signalman to scratch build the webbing on 20mm or smaller figures so I can repay the compliment :)

Just to lighten the mood a bit as we appear to be in the NAAFI

IMG_0788.jpg

There were cobwebs on it this morning.......

I will also be ordering a new one to finish it - the mrs' lad broke one of the rotors and its unfixable