Military Modelling

A great story and one of your service 'movie' moments for sure, no doubt that many arrsers have one or two of those moments which maybe should become thread in it's own right !
Yep - flying into N Iraq on Op Warden down the Euphrates valley in a Blackhawk was one of mine - soon as we crossed the border it was down on the deck, guns out - you know what time was going on in my head

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was on Ex Crusader in 1980 as an infantryman. My bn was warned of for a heliborne assault to secure a bridgehead so the American engineers could put a bridge over the river Leine for their armour to cross.

Virtually the whole bn tipped up in light scales in a big field near Hanover. The only vehicle allowed was a L/Rover with the rear link radios. I was in the sigs pl at this time and the Ops Offr (nice bloke) grabbed me to be the CO's radio operator.

We all expected a convoy of 4 tonners to pick us up and take us to the LZ (Helicopters to lift this lot, yeah, right) ...but then, in the distance a faint WOPWOPWOPWOPWOPWOPWOP, slowly growing louder.

Then someoone saw them and pointed - Eighteen US Chinooks heading towards us.
That must have been fantastic. I've never been in a formation larger than 3 cabs, but remember reading (I think) in 'First to Fight' about 1RAR's first tour in Vietnam with the 173rd Abn Bde: their first experience of US-provided helo ops involved an air assault with 144 Hueys.

9c3063a7783bd752ebe9bb30e3b35ba2--tree-line-viet-cong.jpg

Last edited:
That harness is looking good from what we can see of it. I might need to look at my efforts again and persevere a bit. I see he's coming into land; tray table stowed and seat in the upright position.
It’s Ok - better than the etch one, but as fiddly as fook! I wish I’d glued it with white evostick - be careful how much super glue you put on as you lose some of the flexibility.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
I’ve been following this thread for a while and, frankly, been in awe at some of the skills you lot display. Having not made a model since I was about 13 (30 years ago), I took the plunge and spent a small fortune on models, paint, glue, files, snips
and brushes. I’m hooked.
This is my first attempt, a bit clumsy in places and not yet finished; there is a lot of kit to be painted and mounted, but this is the base of it.
Any advice or criticism would be welcomed, especially about how to make the figures a little more realistic.
Thanks for reintroducing me to a boyhood hobby that I can do in public.

Re the figures run a wash of a darker shade over the uniform, to give it some contrasts. The beards are too monotone put some highlights in them. Finally, try to put some eye detail in them.

Right - that’s me done. Quick hour and I’ve rectified the drunken disaster. Only one thing to do now

E5C3A6A8-E1D3-47EC-81D4-67922697743B.jpeg

Last of the wires in, just need to let things dry off before tweaking and painting them....once my eyesight has recovered

IMG_20180624_220620.jpg

I’ve been following this thread for a while and, frankly, been in awe at some of the skills you lot display. Having not made a model since I was about 13 (30 years ago), I took the plunge and spent a small fortune on models, paint, glue, files, snips
and brushes. I’m hooked.
This is my first attempt, a bit clumsy in places and not yet finished; there is a lot of kit to be painted and mounted, but this is the base of it.
Any advice or criticism would be welcomed, especially about how to make the figures a little more realistic.
Thanks for reintroducing me to a boyhood hobby that I can do in public.

if that's your first since you were a kid then well done to you, keep it up and improvements to your figure painting skill will follow. Nice work on that bonnet paint chipping, looks good. Figures, I think, really bring a model to life and add human interest.

I went with Insignia white undersides Vallejo M495 FS36357, but I weathered partly with light grey under there.
The Dynamic prop was a total wright off, couldn't stand it's wavering non flat disc shape, so went back to still props.
I’ve gone with light grey in the end

Somehow I think that fix is more in keeping with Daz's mania for miniature accuracy!
I just like getting my moneys worth out of a cheap(ish) kit