Military Modelling

We've had a veritable wokka fest here as the US Army's 4thCAB has been transiting the area as part of Atlantic Resolve. Only managed to get a picture of two with the phone but they've been coming over at 6 at a time. Great sound. Don't think I have room for a wokka but a Black Hawk on the other hand. Need to study some options; Academy have a 1:35th scale version.

View attachment 339322
I was on Ex Crusader in 1980 as an infantryman. My bn was warned of for a heliborne assault to secure a bridgehead so the American engineers could put a bridge over the river Leine for their armour to cross.

Virtually the whole bn tipped up in light scales in a big field near Hanover. The only vehicle allowed was a L/Rover with the rear link radios. I was in the sigs pl at this time and the Ops Offr (nice bloke) grabbed me to be the CO's radio operator.

We all expected a convoy of 4 tonners to pick us up and take us to the LZ (Helicopters to lift this lot, yeah, right) ...but then, in the distance a faint WOPWOPWOPWOPWOPWOPWOP, slowly growing louder.

Then someoone saw them and pointed - Eighteen US Chinooks heading towards us.

They landed and picked up the battalion in ONE lift and took us on a 20 minute very low level flight to the LZ on the other side of the Leine. The sound of 18 aircraft lifting off together was phenominal.

The aircraft were flying so low they had to climb to clear the power lines. The ramps were left open and I had a great view out of the back. The CO's comd group (including me) were in the lead aircraft and I could see the other chinooks strung out in a couple of long lines, with the aircraft rising and falling as they flew the contours sometimes rising up to clear trees, power lines etc.

On the LZ they put the bn down inside of a minute and a couple of minutes later the companies were dispersing to form the bridgehead. Within 10 minutes we had secured the bridging site for the Yanks.

I've flown in Chinooks umpteen times over the years but that was the one that stays with me...

This pic is the nearest I could find to give even the slightest impression of how it felt. Eighteen helicopters carrying an entire battalion - AWESOME! :)

Great story. Can't find the "awesome" button. The closest that I got in the MN was when the 4th Engineer aboard our ship got pissed at lunchtime and then decided to go for an allover bronzy whist bolloko off Cape Town. He had to be helicoptered off, followed by surgery, then re-patriated to the UK.

This fella's done for now. I'm not going to base him yet as there's another seven figures in the set and they'll all go on the same base when it's finished. Oh and for a 54mm figure he's bloody huge - closer to 65mm. Quite the dapper chap though!

_20180623_184157.JPG
_20180623_184137.JPG
_20180623_184114.JPG

Just for th lads that don’t model - I’ve got to stick these two locks onto those two belts and that’s the belts all done.

View attachment 339318

Decided not to stick the little lads in the plane
Show again braincell given as that is positively insane! I'm not sure I could even see the bloody things with the naked eye, let alone clean them up without losing them. As for actually fitting them!

I was on Ex Crusader in 1980 as an infantryman. My bn was warned of for a heliborne assault to secure a bridgehead so the American engineers could put a bridge over the river Leine for their armour to cross.

Virtually the whole bn tipped up in light scales in a big field near Hanover. The only vehicle allowed was a L/Rover with the rear link radios. I was in the sigs pl at this time and the Ops Offr (nice bloke) grabbed me to be the CO's radio operator.

We all expected a convoy of 4 tonners to pick us up and take us to the LZ (Helicopters to lift this lot, yeah, right) ...but then, in the distance a faint WOPWOPWOPWOPWOPWOPWOP, slowly growing louder.

Then someoone saw them and pointed - Eighteen US Chinooks heading towards us.

They landed and picked up the battalion in ONE lift and took us on a 20 minute very low level flight to the LZ on the other side of the Leine. The sound of 18 aircraft lifting off together was phenominal.

The aircraft were flying so low they had to climb to clear the power lines. The ramps were left open and I had a great view out of the back. The CO's comd group (including me) were in the lead aircraft and I could see the other chinooks strung out in a couple of long lines, with the aircraft rising and falling as they flew the contours sometimes rising up to clear trees, power lines etc.

On the LZ they put the bn down inside of a minute and a couple of minutes later the companies were dispersing to form the bridgehead. Within 10 minutes we had secured the bridging site for the Yanks.

I've flown in Chinooks umpteen times over the years but that was the one that stays with me...

This pic is the nearest I could find to give even the slightest impression of how it felt. Eighteen helicopters carrying an entire battalion - AWESOME! :)

Shit. That’s three I’ve got to build

Show again braincell given as that is positively insane! I'm not sure I could even see the bloody things with the naked eye, let alone clean them up without losing them. As for actually fitting them!
Same sort of size as the old Airfix or Historex 1/30, 1/32 belt buckles and horse harnessing, a SABC is only called for if @Simmerit had done that in 1/72 scale :)

@Simmerit They've turned out lovely

seriously though Si, that is coming on great, considering Planes are not your usual modelling subject.
I’ve had to take the nose apart. Never assemble models when pissed........ it seemed like a good idea at the time

I was on Ex Crusader in 1980 as an infantryman. My bn was warned of for a heliborne assault to secure a bridgehead so the American engineers could put a bridge over the river Leine for their armour to cross. :)
A great story and one of your service 'movie' moments for sure, no doubt that many arrsers have one or two of those moments which maybe should become thread in it's own right !

I’ve been following this thread for a while and, frankly, been in awe at some of the skills you lot display. Having not made a model since I was about 13 (30 years ago), I took the plunge and spent a small fortune on models, paint, glue, files, snips
and brushes. I’m hooked.
This is my first attempt, a bit clumsy in places and not yet finished; there is a lot of kit to be painted and mounted, but this is the base of it.
Any advice or criticism would be welcomed, especially about how to make the figures a little more realistic.
Thanks for reintroducing me to a boyhood hobby that I can do in public.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk