Military Modelling

[QUOTE} Just ordered one of these

Can’t find a lad for the gun/QUOTE]

Why don't you get another one ? You will already have the basic figure and it's nothing that a bit of a dextruous hacksawing and a bit of filler won't cure.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
So if I've got my head around this, two model companies have produced a 'scale' model of a completely fictitious SF flying saucer, which has no connection to any well known film or TV series just for the hell of of it. Presumably steampunk flying battleships will be next.
Even 'popular Mechanics' took a look at this one:

Popular Mechanics

Its arrived! Two bottles of finest blue. Thanks to @SPROCKET321 for the tip.

View attachment 339170
my pleasure PFGEN, glad to help.

on the subject of Vallejo US Navy colour, I wasn't happy with the number decal so painted a oblong patch of USN intermediate blue, then added a black five decal from the decal spares box, looks much better and fits in with what I saw ont net. Guns need a feed chute, (pe sprue frame)

my pleasure PFGEN, glad to help.

on the subject of Vallejo US Navy colour, I wasn't happy with the number decal so painted a oblong patch of USN intermediate blue, then added a black five decal from the decal spares box, looks much better and fits in with what I saw ont net. Guns need a feed chute, (pe sprue frame)
There is a Dauntless "5." Looks like this, though...

[QUOTE} Just ordered one of these

Can’t find a lad for the gun/QUOTE]

Why don't you get another one ? You will already have the basic figure and it's nothing that a bit of a dextruous hacksawing and a bit of filler won't cure.
[/QUOTE]

I’ll see how this one looks first

There is a Dauntless "5." Looks like this, though...

I thinks the bottom pic is a wartime one and the top one is restored, might be wrong, stand to be corrected. But the markings were sometimes masked when the airframe was re painted to avoid time consuming re stencilling. bit like this, though it's to the rear of the star and mines to the front. Though on closer examination, that patch look less weathered than the rest.

Some more views of No.5...

A good one for the dive brake detail:-

0660328.jpg

In British livery*:-

A lot of close-up detail shots here:-
SBD-5 Dauntless Walk Around Page 1

sbd-5_dauntless_06_of_53.jpg

Alternate colour scheme:-

* This is actually an RC model!

Last edited:
just noticed in that image I posted above, the front curve of the engine cowling has a similar dark patch, but the number is obscured by the wing trailing edge of the camera plane, need to add that to my model.

In British livery*:-
oh you would show me that now!

some excellent pictures there NSP, They are all beautifully restored and lovingly cared for as prized possessions, there in lies the conundrum for the modeller, helpful if you're making a museum piece, not so much battered wartime example going through changes to colours and sqn markings, then thrown over the side into the deep six after it's been picked clean for spares.

As I understand it, even the exhausts and air vents (on the one at the back) were designed to match the gills on the shark - now that's style! :)

It looks like the bloke in the back is just leaning back, chilling out and enjoying the sunshine and the view :)