Military Modelling

Hay, we're back fellas! I've missed you all, hang on, it's only been two days.
I've actually had time to sit down and finish the Bike and make some glass cases. Here's the Sheene Machine..

Well it’s come

864BFAA3-1B8D-41E2-B468-C5E139E95B6D.jpeg

Etch turned up this morning and I’m waiting for the master brass 303 guns and that’s me good to go.

1st June you say?

Inspired by the BBC 2 doco this afternoon, 'SAS: Rogue Warriors', I cracked on with the Tamiya SAS Jeep adding the Ed brass. I'll be having another crack at the sand channels but pleased with the results so far.
car.JPG

car2.JPG

Last edited:
Sand Channels re-bent.
Sand channels.JPG

Well it’s come

View attachment 335645

Etch turned up this morning and I’m waiting for the master brass 303 guns and that’s me good to go.

1st June you say?
that's going blow mine out of the water, accuracy wise, champing at the bit till june 1st to get cracking, still, plenty of time to clear away other projects for the start date, have you thought about how to display it? I'm doing my old Matchbox 1/32 in a steep dive, so early stages will need planning the suspension rod coming up into the wing from below.

Inspired by the BBC 2 doco this afternoon, 'SAS: Rogue Warriors', I cracked on with the Tamiya SAS Jeep adding the Ed brass. I'll be having another crack at the sand channels but pleased with the results so far. View attachment 335651
View attachment 335653
that set makes that jeep into a nice scale model, nice scale thin pieces like those sand channels. Makes a lot of difference.

Let’s hope it doesn’t end up on the piano of doom next to th Wokka
One day the piano of doom is going to collapse under the weight of all that unfinished plastic. Then you'll really be in the shit! :-D

that's going blow mine out of the water, accuracy wise, champing at the bit till june 1st to get cracking, still, plenty of time to clear away other projects for the start date, have you thought about how to display it? I'm doing my old Matchbox 1/32 in a steep dive, so early stages will need planning the suspension rod coming up into the wing from below.
It’s supposed to be a lovely kit - one of the best they’ve turned out according to the reviews of it. To be honest I just want to get it finished to get me back into it - I’ve done nowt for two years.

Anyway. A bit of detol and Halfords finest.

B7C2338C-C8B5-4D56-9686-84E8BF5CEFB4.jpeg

bit of filling - assuming the filler hasn’t gone off....

It’s supposed to be a lovely kit - one of the best they’ve turned out according to the reviews of it. To be honest I just want to get it finished to get me back into it - I’ve done nowt for two years.

Anyway. A bit of detol and Halfords finest.

View attachment 335666

bit of filling - assuming the filler hasn’t gone off....
yes indeed, a group build is just what you need to surround you with enthusiasm and support, all starting on the first, say, you don't think we'll break the internet server again, all posting furiously...

Just watching 'Ice Cold In Alex', again, for some desert inspiration. Anthony Quayle, a big unit with a sound background.....I wouldn't have liked to front up to the guy.

Just watching 'Ice Cold In Alex', again, for some desert inspiration. Anthony Quayle, a big unit with a sound background.....I wouldn't have liked to front up to the guy.
are you referring to Hauptman Otto Lutz, who held Katy from crashing down and breaking her back axle, that scene where they crank her up the dune in reverse (lowest gear) with the plugs taken out, a great movie, with four great cast members.

Finished some decent shots of the Bradley alongside a comparison with the Meng version. First off the Tamiya version.

s_D4R9476.jpg

s_D4R9485.jpg

Next the comparison with the Meng version of the Bradley.

s_D4R9490.jpg

And then this happened.

sMG_0574.jpg

Its now fixed and both models are in the display cabinet. As to which kit was better; detail wise the Meng version wins hands down right down to the detail on the various tool clamps. No brass needed in the case of the Meng kit other than what was provided. Decals were of high quality compared to Tamiya which just fell apart in some places. That said some decals were in places that are hidden from view and then when they would be in view they are missing, somebody made a few strange choices.

The clear plastic provided for the optics on the Meng kit make it look a lot more realistic than the lack of in the case of Tamiya. More need to follow this route but it does mean that they have to be protected (or added later) when painting the main vehicle.

Construction wise the Tamiya is childishly simple and it all fits together well without the hours of fettling that almost every part of the Meng kit required. Even my kak handed efforts with the Eduard PE on the Tamiya weren't too difficult although I didn't replace everything with PE. On the whole I'm pleased with the combined result and happy that I'm not going to be looking at another Bradley for some time. There's still one in the stash but its staying there for a few years.

Right, time to finish some wheels for a Chieftain and then put it all to one side for the Pacific build off. The extras arrived in the post so I'm ready to go.

Last edited: