Military Modelling

Just watching 'Ice Cold In Alex', again, for some desert inspiration. Anthony Quayle, a big unit with a sound background.....I wouldn't have liked to front up to the guy.

Just watching 'Ice Cold In Alex', again, for some desert inspiration. Anthony Quayle, a big unit with a sound background.....I wouldn't have liked to front up to the guy.
are you referring to Hauptman Otto Lutz, who held Katy from crashing down and breaking her back axle, that scene where they crank her up the dune in reverse (lowest gear) with the plugs taken out, a great movie, with four great cast members.

Finished some decent shots of the Bradley alongside a comparison with the Meng version. First off the Tamiya version.

s_D4R9476.jpg

s_D4R9485.jpg

Next the comparison with the Meng version of the Bradley.

s_D4R9490.jpg

And then this happened.

sMG_0574.jpg

Its now fixed and both models are in the display cabinet. As to which kit was better; detail wise the Meng version wins hands down right down to the detail on the various tool clamps. No brass needed in the case of the Meng kit other than what was provided. Decals were of high quality compared to Tamiya which just fell apart in some places. That said some decals were in places that are hidden from view and then when they would be in view they are missing, somebody made a few strange choices.

The clear plastic provided for the optics on the Meng kit make it look a lot more realistic than the lack of in the case of Tamiya. More need to follow this route but it does mean that they have to be protected (or added later) when painting the main vehicle.

Construction wise the Tamiya is childishly simple and it all fits together well without the hours of fettling that almost every part of the Meng kit required. Even my kak handed efforts with the Eduard PE on the Tamiya weren't too difficult although I didn't replace everything with PE. On the whole I'm pleased with the combined result and happy that I'm not going to be looking at another Bradley for some time. There's still one in the stash but its staying there for a few years.

Right, time to finish some wheels for a Chieftain and then put it all to one side for the Pacific build off. The extras arrived in the post so I'm ready to go.

Last edited:
Is there a decal solvent that will prevent decal crumble ? I have a couple of kits in the stash that would do well in the Pacific thread, but they are both about 30 years old, with decals to match.

W21A

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Finished some decent shots of the Bradley alongside a comparison with the Meng version. First off the Tamiya version.

View attachment 335715

View attachment 335716

View attachment 335718

And then this happened.

View attachment 335719

Its now fixed and both models are in the display cabinet. As to which kit was better; detail wise the Meng version wins hands down down to the detail on the various tool clamps. No brass needed in the case of the Meng kit other than what was provided. Decals were of high quality compared to Tamiya which just fell apart in some places. That said some decals were in places that are hidden from view and then when they would be in view they are missing, somebody made a few strange choices.

The clear plastic provided for the optics on the Meng kit make it look a lot more realistic than the lack of in the case of Tamiya. More need to follow this route but it does mean that they have to be protected (or added later) when painting the main vehicle.

Construction wise the Tamiya is childishly simple and it all fits together well without the hours of fettling that almost every part of the Meng kit required. Even my kak handed efforts with the Eduard PE on the Tamiya weren't too difficult although I didn't replace everything with PE. On the whole I'm pleased with the combined result and happy that I'm not going to be looking at another Bradley for some time. There's still one in the stash but its staying there for a few years.

Right, time to finish some wheels for a Chieftain and then put it all to one side for the Pacific build off. The extras arrived in the post so I'm ready to go.
Looks like an American Army (SIC) workshop.

I've posted before re resources for various stuff.
Unfortunately for you chaps in the UK, the sites are 'unavailable'.
Which is a bugger.
However, those who wish to make the Dauntless may wish to type that name into b-ok dot org
And see some amazing files
Likewise for other aircraft types

are you referring to Hauptman Otto Lutz, who held Katy from crashing down and breaking her back axle, that scene where they crank her up the dune in reverse (lowest gear) with the plugs taken out, a great movie, with four great cast members.
Given that, as far as I know, reverse gear is first gear with a 1:1 spur gear engaged to reverse the direction of the output shaft surely the actual reason for doing it backwards would be so that you "pushed" rather than "pulled" the vehicle?

Just imagine cranking it uphill from the front and resting with the handle in the wrong place, with the wagon sliding backwards off of the handle as the keys line up with the keyways. It'd take off downhill like a scalded cat and that'd never do! Cranking it in reverse would ensure it couldn't possibly get away from you and bugger off on its own.

Oh, wait - hang on...

Just
Is there a decal solvent that will prevent decal crumble ? I have a couple of kits in the stash that would do well in the Pacific thread, but they are both about 30 years old, with decals to match.
Just get some new decals would be a better idea, hannants normally have some on clearence

View attachment 335715

View attachment 335716

View attachment 335718

And then this happened.

View attachment 335719

Its now fixed and both models are in the display cabinet. As to which kit was better; detail wise the Meng version wins hands down down to the detail on the various tool clamps. No brass needed in the case of the Meng kit other than what was provided. Decals were of high quality compared to Tamiya which just fell apart in some places. That said some decals were in places that are hidden from view and then when they would be in view they are missing, somebody made a few strange choices.

Sometimes the PE is worse than the plastic it replaces

Here's something for the first tank nuts
33714967_10216644520285843_872793794712436736_n.jpg

Away at the moment, down in winchester. .... but here's an update anyway
33790039_10216644517085763_9206796795986837504_n.jpg
33583446_10216644517405771_9020183855704834048_n.jpg

Modded and test fit for the front end, now the pedals are the right way up
33682546_10216644645368970_7642670544025812992_n.jpg

What, no 1/24 scale available
Must say I’m quite taken with the 1/32. If I finish this, Wokka next. The only thing stopping me priming it is ten minutes work on an engine mount

Must say I’m quite taken with the 1/32. If I finish this, Wokka next. The only thing stopping me priming it is ten minutes work on an engine mount
Mine, yours.......or a normal person's ten minutes